Part 7-A Warning

Tanya was taking her books out of her locker. She had a free hour and then another class. She could use that time to make notes in the library and read up on some topics. There was a project coming on in her Literature class and she had to be prepared for it. She did not wish to give Mrs. D'Souza a chance to run her down in class. "Hey, Tanya," someone called. Tanya turned on her heels to see who it could be. People usually did not search her out for small talk. She was a bit surprised to see Ray standing there. He was one of the most popular boys in college, much sought after by girls and though he was dating Rhea, the others did not let any chance pass of seeking his proximity. He was also the only friend that Neil had. Thinking that she might appear rude, staring at him open-mouthed, she nodded in greeting. "Yes?" she inquired, a little bewildered. "I need to speak to you. It is urgent," he seemed serious. What could he want with her? All of a sudden she was finding herself the center of attention. First Neil, and now Ray. What was wrong with them? Had she become so desirable overnight? Anyway, she had to hear him out or she would die of curiosity.

They walked side by side, out of the doors and into the grounds, until they reached one of the stone benches at the back of the building. It was a relatively secluded spot, away from the main grounds and only a few students could be seen from there, playing on the basketball court. Ray indicated for her to sit, and took his place beside her. "Please say whatever you have to Ray, I have to go make some notes," she uttered in frustration when he just sat there, staring at her. He took her hand in his, then looked her in the eye, "You and Neil have become close friends, haven't you? I guess you more than like him." "Yes...yes....so what?" she mumbled, not getting the point. "Tanya, you are an intelligent girl. You don't need me to tell you that Neil is way out of your league. He will only hurt you sooner or later. Please, if you know what is good for you, then stay away from him," he said as if speaking to a child. Tanya felt her temper soar but kept a strong check on it. She did not wish to create a scene. When she did not utter a word, he continued, "Believe me, Tanya, he is a dangerous man. Not someone you can trust." "I can say that for you too, Ray. Can one trust you? You are supposed to be Neil's friend and here you are, spreading lies about him. How low can one get!" her eyes sparked fire. "You are getting me wrong dear. I mean well," she thought she saw the sincerity in his gaze and felt a pang of doubt, but the next moment she chided herself. She would never believe anything so awful about Neil. He had shown her nothing but kindness and concern. It was more than could be said for the other students in the college. They had always made fun of her or pitied her. Neil had done neither. Rather he had made her feel as if she was the most beautiful girl in the world. Tanya stood up and faced him determinedly, her eyes moist with tears, "Stay away from me, Ray. What Neil and I have is too precious for the likes of you to understand." With that, she walked away from him without a backward glance.

Tanya rushed into the restroom, tears hampering her vision. She hurriedly got into a cubicle, locking the door of the stall. Sinking down on the seat, she let the deluge flow. She could not believe that her newfound happiness was so intolerable to people that they were trying to break up her relationship with Neil. She had been there some ten minutes when she heard some girls enter the washroom. Quickly, she wiped her face and opened the door of her stall. As soon as she stepped out, she felt all eyes on her. It was the group of rich, bratty girls, and she could make out Rhea, Nina, and Nikita among others. They were all sophisticated and each one of them was popular with the boys. Even the teachers favored them, seeing that the fathers of a couple of girls were members of the college board. Tanya walked with her head bowed down, avoiding all eye contact with them. Anyway, she was not on talking terms with any of those girls. As she neared the door, one of the girls stepped in front of her. She looked up to find Rhea blocking her way. "The dummy is giving herself airs these days. She thinks she can keep Neil interested in her, and her audacity knows no bounds. She was even making eyes at Ray this morning," Rhea smirked. Tanya felt so many comebacks crowding her mind but thought it better to hold her tongue. She could never sink to their level. "Excuse me. I need to leave," she gestured for the girl to move out of her path. "You, listen well," Rhea threatened her, "Keep your hands away from Ray and Neil too. The likes of you don't deserve such men." There was venom in her voice, and anger flashing in her eyes. "Stick to your own type," she threw in Tanya's face, giving a disparaging look at her clothes, before moving away. Tanya could hear the other girls laughing. She left the washroom, tears again threatening her vision. They hated her. Really hated her. Was it just because she wasn't from a privileged background like them or because she was gauche and plain?

The bell rang and Tanya walked into her class. It was the last class of the day. She usually liked environmental science, but today her head was throbbing with a splitting headache. As usual, she took her seat at the back of the class, away from others. Ray sauntered into the class, and his gaze fell on her. She turned her head the other way, determined not to look at him, but turned with a gasp as she felt him take the empty seat beside her. He took out his notebook and then turned to her. "Peace," he held up his palm, mocking her. When she did not react, he continued, "You did not believe me in the morning and I am no longer asking you to do so. I ask you to do just one thing....." "What?" she fell for the bait. "Ask Neil more about his family. That should be enough to convince you that I spoke the truth," he said, then getting up, went to sit with his friends.

Walking out of the gates, she noticed Neil leaning against his car, a cigarette dangling from his fingers. He was obviously waiting for her. Though she yearned to run into his arms, she walked with sedate steps as she did not want to cause any more gossip. Throwing his cigarette, Neil held open the passenger door for her and she got in, relieved to be hidden from the glances which stared, judged, and found her wanting. As they drove out of the wide gates, she whispered, "Hold me, Neil." He looked at her with understanding but continued to drive until they reached his porch. Getting out of the car, he opened her door and picked her up in his arms, like a bride, striding in with long, sure steps.

Climbing up the stairs two at a time, he took her to his room, deposited her on the couch, and then sat down beside her. He drew her in his arms and she hid her face in his shirtfront and wept until she felt the cloth below her cheek get soaked. Later, much later, she lay spent in his arms, while he caressed her back, trying to comfort her. Only then did he turn her face up with a finger under her chin and asked, " Care to tell me what happened?" "The girls, they were so beastly to me. Just because we are together." She deliberately avoided telling him about Ray as she did not wish to hurt him with his friend's betrayal. "Don't you care for what they say. They are not important. The only one important for me is you and only I should be important to you. Let the rest of them go to hell," Neil said vehemently. Instantly her heart lifted at his words, and shyly she pulled him near to place a kiss on his lips. With a groan, he gathered her near, returning the kiss and then taking over from her. They sat there for a long time like that, lost in each other, uncaring of the world.

Neil was the first one to break away. Gently putting her away from him, he rose. "Go take a shower. Relax. I will get something to eat," he assured. She did as he told, taking a shower and then putting on his bathrobe again. After having a light meal, she called her mother, telling her that she won't be home for the night as she was with a friend. She deliberately omitted to tell her which friend. As it was, she was already ashamed of lying to her mother. Later, she sprawled on Neil's bed, her books open while she went through the notes. Neil sat beside her, similarly engaged. Much later, he switched on the television and they watched an old fantasy movie. Halfway, she turned to him, "Do such incredible creatures really exist?" Neil just smiled at her question. "Do they think we are so gullible as to believe that goblins and witches exist? Or strange creatures who can shift into animals?" Neil made a low sound in his throat. Tanya was taken aback. Did he just growl? She laughed at her own vivid imagination, before settling more comfortably in his arms.