Chapter Three

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

For the last thirty minutes, I've been acclimating to my new workspace, striving to make it a comfortable environment where I'll be spending the majority of my time.

Occasionally, I glanced at Mr. Petrov's office, and it appeared unoccupied. Apart from a group of guys in the back, the rest of the building remained quiet.

As my cellphone screen illuminated, a message from an unfamiliar number arrived. I lifted my phone, briefly inspecting the notification before unlocking it.

SUGGESTED CONTACT NAME: ASHER PETROV

Get in here and make up an excuse to get me out of here.

With a hesitant swallow, I read the message, contemplating a valid excuse before heading towards his office.

I stood before the door, lightly tapping my knuckles against it, awaiting a response. "Come in," Mr. Petrov's voice carried evident stress.

Nervously, I pushed the door open, observing as the woman rose from her seat in the cushioned chair. "Sorry to interrupt," I began, but she swiftly cut me off.

"Sure you are," her venomous eyes locked onto mine, revealing her disdain. "But if you could go back to wherever you came from so we can finish our conversation, that would be perfect," she added with an unpleasant smile, her demeanor matching her harsh words.

"Actually, Mr. Petrov has some urgent matters to attend to, so the meeting is concluded," I replied with a sly smile, stepping aside and indicating the door.

"What business?" Her raised eyebrow and furrowed forehead indicated her skepticism. My silence seemed to be interpreted as an answer, prompting her to press further. "What business?" she snapped impatiently.

I shot a quick glance at Mr. Petrov, seeking his approval, and he nodded in agreement. "His sister called to inform him that she's waiting for him," I explained, noticing her skeptical expression. "They have their usual coffee dates, and this is the third time he's failed to show up."

I noticed the amused smile on Mr. Petrov's lips, feeling a bit perplexed about what was amusing. Perhaps my excuse wasn't the most convincing, but I hoped it would suffice.

"Okay," she coolly stated, folding her lengthy fur coat over her arm as she exited the room. I gave Mr. Petrov a nod before closing the door behind both of us.

I resumed my position behind the desk and said, "If you'd like to schedule another meeting, I'd be happy to assist you."

"No thanks," she replied, stepping into the elevator, and I watched as she rolled her eyes while the doors slowly closed. I sank into my leather chair, finally able to breathe a sigh of relief.