Chapter 32 | Mother's Appearance

"I thought we'd be running

"I thought we'd be running."

"I'm not an athlete, Riot. Look at me."

Riot scoffed, folding her arms as the two women walked alongside the concrete road. The neighborhood had very separate houses solely consisting of werewolf families. The pack-house, where Cronus preferred to work, was nearby.

"Hey," She'd nudge her with her elbow, "Body positivity, River."

"I am!" Her younger sister exclaimed, "Hard not to be positive when you have a boyfriend like Lucifer."

She'd roll her eyes, "God, I know. He praises you like you're Moon Goddess herself."

River beamed, "I like a man who simps."

She burst out laughing- clutching her stomach as the two kept walking. Her sister gasped, "You know what that means?!" She'd exclaim, covering her mouth with a light blush on her cheeks. 

"Hard not to!" The elder sister cackled, "Your students throw it around like a volleyball."

River held her hands behind her, swinging her hips enthusiastically. "I learned it from Elizabeth." She giggled girlishly, "Did you hear she's pregnant?"

"Marcus' little dick started working?" The she-wolf eyebrows raised in mock surprise.

The plump woman threw her a shocked look, "Riot!" She gasped, "Be nice! They're excited- and it might be twins!"

"Well," She huffed, "... Congratulate her for me. I don't know when I'll be able to do it with my shitty schedule."

River opened her mouth to speak- but something prodded at their minds.

Instinctively, her mind-link opened like a slow gate. A deep baritone voice echoed through her mind, shaking her heart and blooming a heat at the bottom of her stomach.

"Marcus alerted me to a random woman on pack land."

She pursed her lips.

"She's at River's house."

"Yip-de-fucking-doo." She linked back.

Just as they approached the pack house, Cronus came clambering out the doors hurriedly. He shared a look with the two and quickly shifted before bolting away.

"Let's go!" Riot yowled.

"WAIT!!"

The muscular woman whipped back to look at her sister.

She set her purse on the ground- shrugging off her dress and zipping it down. She'd tug off her underwear and socks at the same time.

"We don't have time!" Her elder sister hissed through gritted teeth. "Shift!"

Her sister whimpered, "I don't want to destroy my clothes! And this is my favourite bra."

Sick of it, Riot hunched over and groaned as she shifted slowly into her lycan form. It still hurt to do- even after constant practice these two months.

Finally, She'd have to boringly watch as River threw off her dress and bent over. Her bones snapped, and her skin ripped as she shifted faster than her elder sister had. Riot stared through light green eyes in ridicule.
Whipping around, The she-lycan thundered her back paws into the earth and lept forward. Her hands slammed into the dirt, running on all four legs. River appeared to struggle to keep up with her superior speed.

After a long moment of running, she stopped as the scent of her mate became too powerful to think clearly.

River was close behind, stopping nearby with her tail tucked in between her legs. It was obvious Artemis, her wolf, was not in control.

Snapping her jaws, the she-wolf had to relax herself when a shadow approached River. The larger black wolf comfortably rubbing against her side's identity was as clear as a full moon. Vulcan is as attached as Lucifer is.

Lumbering forward, nearby warriors eyed her towering form in awe. She'd be lying if she said it didn't boost her ego.

A dark brown wolf stood beside a massive black wolf with white specs in his fur.

Marcus and Cronus.

Curling a lip up with a sneer, the lycan oafishly lumbered forward and pushed the two to the side. Titanis, Marcus' wolf, scoffed quietly while Midas rolled his eyes.

A clearing sat ahead.

The fresh green grass ruffled quietly from a weeping breeze, her gaze leading up a hill.

As the sun sank under the horizon behind them, the moon was beginning to rise ahead. In front of the Goddess's white gaze, a shadowed figure stood ahead.

A familiar, haunting scent hit her like a moving fan. 

Her scent was horrid. It stank of kerosene and oil paint- two smells that disgust her and haunt her dreams beyond belief. They say the person you fear the most smells like your most hated scents.

She'd shift in her stance, opening and closing her palms anxiously. These emotions were foreign to her- why were they here? 

Mother didn't scare her...

Did she?