Neighbor? - Kipps x M! Reader

(part 2)

Over the next three weeks, I was able to get a job at a bakery that I loved. Quill and I had dinner every night. Pebble got a check up at the veterinarian.

And I also wrote a letter to Lockwood and Co. There was no return address or hint as to where I was but I just knew that when they read it, they would know I was okay.

Quill and I got to know each other on a more personal level than before.

He took me out to eat at a local bakery for breakfast one morning and I scolded him for having breakfast at my job's top competitor.

Quill merely said they had better quality food and later bought some fancy milk for Pebble.

We held hands too, but I only reminded myself that it was winter now and we were cold.

In my chest, though, there was an inkling of a feeling, something that almost felt like love.

I knew I could never have Quill even if my chest burned around him and even if there was nothing I could do to express how I felt.

I destroyed everything I touched and he mattered more than anything, even my longing for him.

But after another week of us walking down the street holding hands and getting hot drinks to warm ourselves up, I finally thought to bring it up with him.

I was gone from L&Co. for almost two months and I felt brand new. My beard had grown a bit, stubbly and patchy and I had dyed my hair darker than I thought was possible.

Quill told me I looked 'rather dashing', his words, not mine. We were walking to our favorite bakery cafe and sat down at our usual table.

I was sitting across from him and I couldn't help but stare into his slightly jarring blue eyes. His orange tinted hair stood out against the blue jacket he wore.

We ordered already and it was fairly quiet so I saw my opportunity.

"Hey, Q. Can we talk about something?" I was nervous, really nervous.

I wanted a chance to change my destiny. I wanted to still be young and in love without feeling guilty.

Quill was right, he told me that even the most complicated people needed something to feel complete. And I needed him.

"Sure, go ahead," Quill smiled at me. It made me feel warm inside.

"So you know how we hang out nearly everyday, right?"

"Yeah," He grinned.

"And we have dinner together and sleep at each other's apartments?"

"Where is this going?" Quill asked.

I just decided to blurt it out and get it over with. "Are we together?"

Quill paled a bit before letting out a soft chuckle.

I frowned. "Quill, I'm being serious. I want to know. I want to know if you're leading me on or if you feel the same way I do."

Quill spoke up, "You're telling me this whole time you couldn't tell if I was flirting with you for the fun of it or because I truly was feeling in love?"

"Well, I love you."

"Oh, Y/n, oh my, oh my," Quill laughed out loud. He looked up grinning like a devil. "These feelings I have for you are new and wonderful. And I haven't felt this way about someone ever. I just figured we were casually going out and I was just waiting for you to tell me how you felt."

"You idiot." YIn responded. "I just thought you were being your typical leprechaun self."

"That's why I love you, you absolute beautiful human." Quill reached over and grabbed my hand from across the table.

"Can I call you my boyfriend?" I asked.

"Only if I can also call you my boyfriend," Quill grinned.

I felt absolutely light as a feather as Quill kissed my hand.

We finished up at the cafe and twenty minutes later we were at my apartment.

I had just closed the door when Quill locked his lips onto mine and we stumbled to the couch.

We pulled apart and Pebble jumped onto my lap and gave a small meow that made us laugh.

"I think she's happy we're finally together."

I pulled Quill down by his shirt after Pebble jumped down and settled onto the floor.

"More kisses please," I smiled.

"Okay, whatever you say boyfriend," Quill obliged.

We kissed and kissed and kissed

I smiled again and again as our lips met. After what seemed like hours, we cuddled on the couch with Pebble between us and our hands interlocked.

I may not have had a great start to life but I discovered something more along the way.

I knew I had found my reason to live, my soulmate, my Quill.

And he was next door the whole time.