Chapter 469: Yan Siming's Loss

Ever since Gong Tianhao and Xiao Lingyu got engaged, the two families had decided on an auspicious date. It was October 18th on the Chinese Calendar. It was an auspicious day.

After they got engaged, the two families began to prepare for the wedding.

The Gong family had given Xiao Lingyu a betrothal gift of 3.6 million. This news spread through the village. Every family with a daughter was filled with envy. At the same time, the other villagers were extremely envious of Xiao Zhengyang and his wife. They were too lucky. They had a promising daughter, and their daughter had married a rich man.

Of course, Xiao Lingyu was born with a good background. She graduated from a famous university and was beautiful. Naturally, there would be outstanding men who would pursue her and marry her.

If they wanted their daughter to be married off with an astronomical betrothal gift, they could only raise their daughter to be as outstanding as Xiao Lingyu.

However, the preference for sons was still quite serious in the rural area. They were not many families that would send their daughters to school. Daughters were to be married off, so there was no point in spending so much money on them. It would only benefit their in-law.

Therefore, most daughters were told to work instead of study. Because of this, many girls, who wanted to study, suffered. When these families saw other daughters earn big money at big companies and marry rich husbands, they would come back to blame their own daughters for not being good students.

They said that equality was important. But it would take some time before that concept was really implemented.

However, when some villagers heard that Xiao Zhengyang had received 3.6 million in betrothal gifts from Xiao Lingyu's marriage, their minds changed. If they raised their daughters well, they could fetch expensive betrothal gifts too.

The Gong Family and the Xiao Family lived less than two hundred meters apart. Some of the traditional procedures on the wedding day could be canceled, but neither of the families did. It was important to follow traditions.

The Xiao Family believed Xiao Lingyu's happiness was the most important. However, the traditions still had to be followed.

Of course, the traditions nowadays had become much simpler than before.

The two families decided to hold one shared banquet. Two banquets would be a waste of money and energy. Most importantly, it would be taxing on the bride. It would not be wise for her to get tired. The two families discussed and decided to have a shared banquet.

The villagers were quite happy. Previously, many of them discussed whether they should attend the banquet organized by the Gong Family. The Gong Family didn't attend the villagers' banquets, but it was true that they had helped them a lot. Plus, they had to provide gifts if they attended the Gong Family's banquet.

The villagers were concerned about money. In the past, they were very poor, and they used to be very wise with money. They had to give gifts when attending a banquet.

However, the Gong Family had only arrived at Taoyuan Village for a short period of time. Other than Xiao Lingye's graduation banquet, they hadn't participated in other banquets. Therefore, the Gong Family had never given the villagers any gifts. However, now that they were holding a wedding banquet, some villagers became quite calculative. The gift-giving should go back and forth and not one way.

So when they heard the two families would only hold one banquet, many people secretly heaved a sigh of relief.

That was good. They only needed to attend the banquet once and not twice.