Chapter One

Eva was getting married to the prince, and Camila was expected at the palace in two minutes and fifty-five seconds. Training had to end in eighteen.

"Please, Camila, I can't go any further," Lorena Hearthstone cried out from her place at the battle ropes.

"You shall stop when you are told to," she replied.

Three of the men picked up another who had collapsed. That was the fifth one in the past half hour.

"Come on, Camila. Quit it!" Adrien Adams growled.

She turned her cold eyes his way. Barely moving her lips, Camila said, "Stop if you dare."

He visibly gulped. Some of his friends called him stupid, but he wasn't dense enough to go against Camila Allard, the youngest archivist of the Wolf Kingdom since its inception. She did not look particularly terrifying, she was small compared to other female wolves, but the things she knew about everyone could make grown wolves weep like pups. Having been in the position for five years, she took the phrase 'knowledge is power' to new heights. The details and secrets she knew about her kingdom's citizens made everyone steer clear of her to avoid upsetting her.

Hence, they ignored the pain in their muscles and continued under the watchful stare of her dead eyes.

"Training is over. You are dismissed," she said and walked in the direction of the palace at her even regular pace, her mind running wild with the secrets of the citizens of the shifter kingdom in Sueret, the paranormal Earth.

Her ponytail swished thrice every two seconds. In the right pocket of her cargo pants was a flattened Rubik's, one of her creations. The other five were filled with tools, paper, and stationery that were set carefully so as not to make a sound. She wore no jewelry, and her face was set in stone unsmiling, unfrowning, unfeeling. She unconsciously numbered her steps, counted the number of seconds she was walking, and stored them away in the compartment of her brain. She was good at everything, but keeping knowledge she was best at.

"I thought I would run into you," a voice said to her right. Camila remained silent. Her assistant Freda was the only one in the royal pack who did not actively avoid her. Freda also took it upon herself to learn all of Camila's schedules, down to the number of steps she took each day. Freda saw Camila as a person, and if she knew how to be grateful, she was sure she would be.

At 6:00 PM exactly, Camilla and Frieda got to the palace's meeting room. Camila opened the grand mahogany door without knocking; they were expecting her.

"There you are, sister," Eva said, coming to hug her.

Camila knew it was for show. Evangeline wanted to seem nice and family oriented in front of the royal family.

Before she could reply, a plethora of smells slammed into her: jasmine, sandalwood, and the ocean. She quickly looked around, ignoring Eva, noticing no one else seemed to smell what she did.

Were they under attack, or did she just find her...

Impossible.

She could not possibly have a soul mate. She had no wolf and was essentially human.

"Honey, Camila, are you alright?"

Her father's worried face came into view, but she paid him no attention. Her focus was on the set of green eyes, on the upper level of the meeting room, that were boring holes into her soul and stirring her insides. She began to feel a second presence in her head.

Her wolf?

She had no idea.

That was a first. She always knew.