Chapter five

"During meetings with Russian alphas, what topic should you never approach?" Camila asked Prince Alexander as they walked on the sidewalk of the streets in the pack. She had noticed that he responded better to learning when he was outside so she rearranged his schedule to make three-fifths of his lessons outside.

"Their choice to remain barefoot, even though it's like minus 0 degrees up there," the prince said, mumbling the last part to himself.

She nodded before opening a digitized map of their world. After wiping out two-thirds of the human race in the interspecies war, the leaders of the paranormal races agreed to create a new dimension for paranormals to exist separate from humans. 

Perhaps, the individuals in charge of the project lacked creativity or were lazy because the new world, Sueret was modeled after the human one.

"In Sudan, clothing you should not wear?" she asked.

"Leather," he grimaced, looking down at his leather boots.

"In India, things you should not do in the presence of an older paranormal?" she asked again.

"Wear flip-flops, chew gum, forget to greet. There's one more thing," he muttered to himself.

He looked at her with a sheepish smile, "Remind me?"

"Wave exuberantly," she said, making a note to remind him of the country's customs later.

"Why do I need to remember this when I'll have you to remind me?" he sighed. She almost smiled.

During the past week of their lessons, he had been making comments that meant that he was hell-bent on making her the future queen. As much as her heart fluttered whenever he did, her brain grounded her continually stating the consequences that would arise if their relationship blossomed.

"You are soon to be king. There is no certainty that I would exist throughout your lifetime," she said, keeping her eyes on her tablet.

From her peripheral vision, she saw him smile and look up before he whispered, "Wherever you go, I shall follow."

She gulped, not knowing how to respond. Fortunately, they rounded a corner that led to the busier part of the pack. Unfortunately, Eva was standing less than twenty feet from them.

She sighed internally, confident that her sister's selfish insensitivity and stupidity would manifest as soon as she saw them.

She could also not lead the prince away as the townspeople began to bow in respect to the royal in their presence.  

Eva noticed the prince's presence and immediately put on the facial expression she always wore when flirting. She sashayed to them and bowed, exposing her cleavage in the process. Camila's head began to cloud with anger, which dissipated a little when she noticed the prince was not looking at Eva. 

He had been staring at her the whole time.

Eva saw this, and irritation flashed in her eyes. Camila felt one side of her lips lifting but she resisted the urge.

Eva retained her smile before putting her hand on his bicep and saying in her sickly sweet voice, "Alex, honey, I've not seen you in a while."

Something began to claw in Camila's chest, threatening to take control of her. She began to fight it, applying pressure to the centre of her pen. 

The prince, finally turning to Eva, removed her hand.

"That's great," he said, glancing at Camila. He didn't want to offend her by speaking harshly to her sister.

He did not know that Camila would not care.

"So, when can I come to see you? You still haven't shown me the room I'd have when we get married," Eva said. The pen in Camila's hand snapped.

"He's busy," Camila said at the same time the prince said, "I don't think that's a great idea."

It seemed that was when Eva noticed her presence. 

"I do not recall approaching or talking to you, sister," Eva said, obvious malice in her voice.

"Neither do I but here we are," Camila replied with fury in her eyes. The prince took a step back.

"What are you doing with my prince?" Eva asked.

"You are no one that I should answer to you but as you are disrupting my lessons with His Highness, I suppose you should know so you would never interrupt again," Camila said.

Eva frowned, "What lessons?"

"As the future queen, I thought you would know but perhaps, I guess I was wrong to think that you possess as much power as you tell yourself you do," Camila said.

Eva sneered and made to hit her. Camila raised an eyebrow, forcing herself to rein in her emotions. 

"We both know that would be a mistake, Evangeline," Camila said calmly. Eva dropped her fist.

"I will be queen and then, you would be sorry," Eva roared.

"Of course, Your Majesty," Camila said, void of emotion. Eva frowned and then smirked. 

"I would think that was sarcasm but you do not understand sarcasm. It's good that you are coming to your senses and accepting facts," Eva said, walking to the prince and attempting to touch him.

The prince, in a second, moved and stood beside Camila. 

"Evangeline, I would like to carry on with my lesson. If you would excuse me," Camila said and turned to head back to the archives, the prince behind her.

"As the future queen, shouldn't I be a part of these lessons? I know they are to prepare the prince to rule," Eva said.

Camila stopped.

If she disagreed, Eva may figure out her relationship with the prince or go to the king to get official permission to join the lessons. In either situation, Camila would not be in control of the situation and forced to put up with Evangeline.

If she agreed, everything would be on her terms and if Eva angered her, she could order her to leave.

The obvious downside was...

Do not dare say yes, you do realize that she would flirt with me non-stop, the prince pleaded in mind link.

She had to refrain from killing Eva whenever she opened her mouth.

Why did Eva think only when it came to the male gender?

Her nails began to dig into her palm, drawing blood. That was a small price she would have to pay.

"Fine," she gritted out but they both heard her.

The prince huffed and began to stomp ahead.

Eva ran after him, yelling for him to wait for her.

Neither of them noticed the green flecks in her normally brown eyes or the blood that dripped steadily from her palm.