CHAPTER 6

DUKE FREDERICK OF ZENSBURG

The palace garden was devoid of humans tonight. The annoying sound of crickets chirping and the cool breeze flowing past my ear gave me a headache. A storm was brewing and if possible it's going to take off the face of the earth with it.

"For God's sake, you bloody insects, I order you to shut up." I groaned and it had gotten quiet for a while and then it continued. I was trying to think. I needed to get her out of this ugly situation without his help.

The Queen or should I say my mother who had me out of wedlock and somehow managed to hide me from society. I had questioned why she had given us her blessings at the first meeting. But I should have known better, she was plotting something.

The queen had a great distaste for redheads. The King had granted her the power to banish them, but now he was long gone. She assigned spies to every home that was welcoming a new infant, to be sure it wasn't a redhead. And unfortunately for the few who were redheads she took them away from their families at the age of three. Promising them a better life for their child. Meanwhile she scalded them and trained them and when they were of age, they went for battle, where they all died. Yes, all.

So when I heard her request to see Esmeralda, I knew she was up to no good. Going against her was a stupid idea, so I had no choice but to pretend to be on her side. To deliver Esmeralda to the her myself. And God do I hate myself for that.

Seeing her this morning filled my heart with joy and pain at once. She was walking into the lion's den and I escorted her, leaving her in the end.

She was so beautiful in a green cotton dress. I could tell it was old, but her beauty outshone the worn-out material. Her smile was my favorite art she displayed for me. Her silky white skin shone under the sun and her small rosy lips a deadly weapon which could end me, but I wouldn't mind getting stabbed over and over by her.

A mere infatuation, that can have her dead. I could drop my title and run away with her to Scotland. Where dreams come true, we won't have to be trapped in this society.

The queen never heard of her. Esmeralda was very well hidden until the night of the ball. She saw her for the first time and anger brewed within the depths of her soul. I knew she wanted her gone from that very moment. Even worse when the Prince took interest in her, she wanted her buried alive in that instant. So she had a little chit chat with her friend, Katherine. Ruled by jealousy, she told her everything about Esmeralda. And when she felt the little history she provided about her wasn't enough, she left.

Just this morning she appeared at the palace with more information about her, one Esmeralda had obviously no idea about. Her father was a royal thief, stole from the palace and for the palace. I was surprised at how eager she was to deliver that message, she was truly vile for that. That was enough for the queen to finally slaughter her. But that won't happen, over my dead body.

I had just one plan, I only hope it works. According to the royal court of justice, Esmeralda had to pay up for all her father had stolen. The money I gave her was enough for it and it was hidden in her dress. Now I only had to get to her before the Queen does.

About to take my leave when a shadow obstructs my path.

"Who are you?" Do I care who it may be, no, not exactly. "Nevermind, get out of my way."