CHAPTER 12

ESMERALDA

"Ah" a small scream left my throat. My limbs came in contact with the cold hard floor, bruising a bit. A spear continuously jabbed into my back urging me forward into the dark room. The knight stood behind me, he spear created a lengthy distance between us.

I felt as though I was some repulsive animal of some sort. My eyes were practically swollen and tears hadn't stop falling, the many bruises on my arms and legs and the little cuts from the spear added to the intense pain I was feeling.

My eyes were blurry, but I could still register the image of dirty hairs allover the floor. What are we going to do here? Whatever it was, I was ready to fight. There was still that untamed rebellious spirit in me, unwilling to succumb to their sordidity. It was clear, I wasn't the first to be here, there had been many others.

A figure stood before me now, still aware of the sharp lance pressed into my back.

"Keep still and it won't hurt," the blurry figure said. He fisted my hair in a tight hold and brought a pair of scissors to my hair. My body instinctively thrashed around but was reprimanded by a stab into my lower back.

The sharp blade made a slushing noise as it was pulled out and blood spurted out. It was deep, my body stilled and I wheezed out some blood. The sound of scissors snapping was heard, my long scarlet curls landed on my laps. My voice drowned out their harsh commands and the last thing I remembered was being hit in the head with a spade.

***

It was not long ago, I had regained consciousness and was taken out of the nursing room. The old woman there offered me a pity smile as two bulky men dragged me out. My wounds had been nursed and bandaged, but it felt useless.

It didn't seem like it was going to be a while before they manhandled me again. The medic must expect my presence more often unless I officially meet my doom sooner. My steps were weak, but it didn't matter, the men dragged me around until we reached a wooden door.

My assumption was that we were is some manor around the vicinity. The old lady had dressed me up in the clothing I was given. A royal army gear just like theirs, it swallowed my entire  being. My head was completely bald, I could feel the cool air caressing the swollen area. A constant headache struck me and my head was starting to swell, the skin was definitely red.

Pale skin, empty swollen eyes, arid blue lips, my physical form was far from normal. I was plopped down on a chair and held in place. A scarred face appeared in my line of vision, a sly smile played on his lips. The tall figure disappeared for a minute and sat across form me, a table between us. An office, his office.

A large painting of his hung above his head, it read; Chief Commander of Santoria Kingdom, Lord Maddox Humphrey. That was as much as my eyes could read.

"Leave us be," his cold monotone voice ordered. I couldn't help but feed my eyes on the daringly handsome Lord Maddox. His cold blue eyes stared back at me in an intimidating manner, nutty brown hair slicked back, high cheekbones and a long scar running down the side of his face. So far all the royals I had met were entrancing, if I keep meeting such fine gentleman, then I'll be damned.

Be realistic for once, you are about to die. So far all these so called gentlemen had done was endanger your life.

True. My life only started to fall apart after I had met him and this was just the beginning. In less than two market days, we would be going for battle and  if I wasn't ready by then... I shall perish.