CHAPTER 11

ESMERALDA

"Esmeralda," a deep voice bellowed, causing me to tighten my hold on the branch while clutching an apple in my other hand. I had taken a deep bite of the juicy fruit and I couldn't get enough, this was the twelfth apple so far and I wasn't planning to stop.

My breath hitched as the Prince and the Duke came into view. They were both here. Trying my best to look more ladylike sitting on a branch wasn't easy, but I didn't want to flash them my derriere. I hoped they hadn't seen me.

"We know you are up there. Get down this minute." The Prince commanded, fresh eaten apples scattered all over the ground gave me away.

Two pairs of eyes glared up at me. I had no plan of coming down until I had satisfied my growling belly. It's the Prince's fault, he had me locked up in that room with no food.

"Little pumpkin," the Duke called, earning a glare from the Prince.

"I'll take care of this. You may take your leave now." The Prince commanded.

"She is in grave danger. You can't catch her all by yourself."

"Yes, I can. I order you to leave."

"No, I will not go."

"You dare defy orders," the Prince was surprisingly calm, his cold stare unwavering.

"There is a damsel in distress. We need to help her, don't be selfish." The Duke wasn't giving up. I watched the both of them argue back and forth on the matter as I chewed on a fresh apple.

Taking one last bite of the apple I threw it to the ground, unfortunately it had landed on the Prince's head. I gasped, this had interrupted thier banter and their full attention was on me, what was I thinking? Are you trying to get yourself beheaded? Perhaps you might like your head on a golden platter and served to the Queen.

I acted on instinct, jumping down from the tree and falling to my knees. "Oh your majesty, I didn't mean for that to happen."

"Get up," he held onto my arm helping me up. His hand snuck around my waist, pulling me into his chest. "You are not to kneel before me or anyone else, princess. It is an order." His deep voice reverberated down my neck, causing a shiver to run down my spine. My body acted so strange around him.

"The ballroom has been cleared up and dinner is served." The Duke announced, I had long forgotten about him, being lost in a pool of grey.

"Your majesty, I haven't been able to thank you for your kindness and generosity. With all due respect, I express my gratitude. Thank you, your majesty." Lowering my gaze, avoiding his intense gaze.

It was something I wanted to do for so long, but I never found the chance. He was almost never around and when he was, we were caught up in other things. I wanted to repay him so badly, I wouldn't mind working as a servant to show just how grateful I was. Mother was well, so was I. I didn't have to worry about how much I earned for mother's treatment and I wasn't locked up.

"Is there any way I can repay you, your majesty?" I asked sincerely but there was no answer, so I looked up. His stone cold features wavered as a dazed look graced his face.

Lips pressed in a thin line and cold stormy eyes met my hazel ones. A familiar glint swirled in the depth of those grey pools. Mischief, something I was mostly good at.