Chapter 11

Louise put on her best dark blue dress and pinned her thick black hair into a tidy bun. The dress fit her perfectly, hugging her curves in all the right places. She smoothed down her skirt and took a deep breath, adjusting to the unfamiliar sensation of wearing silk undergarments. With a steady hand, she rang the bell for Mr. Davenport, who appeared promptly at her door.

"Yes Miss Louise?" Mr. Davenport inquired politely, bowing slightly.

"Please escort me to the drawing room where the ladies of the house are waiting," Louise responded calmly.

"Of course. Right this way," Mr. Davenport said before leading her down the hallway. The air in the corridor was thick with the scent of flowers and polished wood. They soon arrived at the drawing room, which was filled with the sound of laughter. Mr. Davenport knocked gently on the double doors.

"You may enter," called out a warm, feminine voice. Mr. Davenport opened the door and ushered Louise inside. There, seated at a dainty table set for tea, was an elderly woman and a younger one who bore an uncanny resemblance to her. They both turned their heads to look at her as she stepped into the room, their eyes wide with curiosity.

The older woman wore a regal, emerald, green gown that complimented her age-spotted skin and made her piercing blue eyes seem all the more vibrant. And the younger woman wore a dress of a paler green, almost the colour of new spring leaves, that made her pale complexion glow.

"Lady Warrington and Mrs Smythe, may I present Miss Louise, the new governess," Mr. Davenport announced with a bow. "Miss Louise, allow me to introduce you to Lady Cordelia Warrington and her daughter, Lady Helena Smythe."

"A pleasure to meet you both," Louise said, inclining her head in a polite nod. Her voice was soft and calm, barely carrying above the gentle hum of conversation in the room. She remained perfectly still, her posture impeccable, as if she had been trained for this very moment since birth.

The two women looked at each other, smirking slightly before turning their attention back to Louise. "Welcome, my dear!" Lady Cordelia exclaimed warmly, "Do come in. I am so pleased you've come to instruct our dear Katherine." She gestured towards the entryway with a gloved hand, her amethyst ring glinting in the candlelight. Her voice was soft and melodic, with a hint of an aristocratic accent that lent an air of sophistication to her words.

Louise dipped into a curtsy. "The pleasure is mine, ma'am." Her tone was monotone, devoid of any emotion. She stepped inside, her gaze taking in the beautiful surroundings. The drawing room was a testament to the family's wealth, with its furniture, expensive fabrics, and an abundance of candles that cast flickering shadows on the walls and ceiling. Despite the beauty, it was tastefully decorated, exuding an air of warmth and comfort.

"Come, my dear, you must be tired from your journey," Lady Cordelia continued, gesturing for Louise to take a seat on the sofa beside her. "We've prepared some refreshments for you." As she spoke, a maid quietly entered the room, bearing a silver tray laden with a teapot, cups, and a selection of delicate pastries. The maid curtsied before Lady Cordelia, who thanked her and instructed her to serve Louise first.

"You are too kind, Lady Cordelia," Louise replied in her emotionless tone. She accepted a cup of tea from the maid and took a sip, carefully placing it back on its saucer. As she sipped her tea, out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Lady Helena staring openly, her eyes roving over her features.

"You must think me rude to stare so blatantly," Helena finally said. "I must admit, you are simply beautiful. It's quite breathtaking, really." She smiled, revealing perfect, pearl-white teeth. "My apologies if I've made you uncomfortable."

"You are too kind, Lady Helena," Louise replied, her tone filled with shock and surprise. "But I must say, your compliment does not go unnoticed. It is always refreshing to be acknowledged for one's appearance, especially in a society where such things are often overlooked or taken for granted." Her words flowed effortlessly, her eyes never leaving Helena's face.