Chapter 27

Louise was in her chambers, dusting her vanity when she heard a soft knock on her door. She paused for a moment, wondering who could possibly be visiting her so late at night. Putting her thick curly hair into a bun, she straightened her dress and opened the door. Outside stood Mr Davenport, the butler.

"Pardon me, Miss Louise, but Lady Marianne requests your presence in her chambers immediately," he said, his voice just above a whisper. "She says it's quite urgent."

Louise felt a knot form in her stomach. What could Lady Marianne want with her? Ever since she had arrived at Wellington Manor, she had been arrogant, condescending, and dismissive towards her. Had she found out about her and Sebastian? Was that why she wanted to speak to her alone?

"Very well, please lead the way Mr. Davenport," Louise replied, trying to keep her voice steady. She followed the butler out of her room and down the long hallway towards Lady Marianne's chambers. With each step, her anxiety grew, her heart racing in her chest. She wondered what Lady Marianne could possibly want from her at this late hour.

Finally, they arrived at the large oak door. Mr. Davenport knocked sharply. "Enter," came Lady Marianne's voice. They pushed the door open to reveal Lady Marianne standing in front of a fireplace, her back to them. She was wearing a long, flowing gown that shimmered in the firelight.

"Miss Louise, my lady." announced Mr Davenport, bowing his head slightly as he entered the room.

Lady Marianne made her way to her vanity and sat at her vanity table, brushing her long golden hair. Her piercing blue eyes cut over to Louise. "You may leave us," she said dismissively to Mr. Davenport. "I am certain you have more important tasks to attend to."

As Mr. Davenport bowed and left the room, Louise stood waiting, her hands folded neatly in front of her. Lady Marianne set down her hairbrush and turned to face her fully.

"Well? Don't just stand there gaping. Come closer," she ordered. Louise approached cautiously until she stood directly in front of, he vain woman. Up close, she could see the cruelty in Marianne's eyes, despite her beauty.

"Now listen here, I shall not share words with you," she began, her voice sharp "I am to be the new Lady Warrington which means I'll be in charge of the staff. I've already begun seeking a new governess to replace you."

Louise took a breath before responding carefully. "My lady, I was not aware my position was in jeopardy. If there is anything I have done wrong, please inform me and I will do my best to rectify it." she said, her voice steady despite her racing heart.

Lady Marianne let out a mocking laugh. "Don't be coy with me. I see the way you and my fiancé look at each other. It is obvious he's taken with you. But make no mistake, once we are wed, you will not remain here. I will not have my husband tempted by a mere...governess."

Louise felt anger rise within her but fought to remain composed. "If I may, Lady Marianne, you and Mr Sebastian are not yet married. I serve at the pleasure of Lord and Lady Warrington. If they see fit to dismiss me, I will respect that, but you have no authority over me currently."

Lady Marianne leaned forward, her face inches from Louise's. "You misunderstand me, governess. I am not asking them to dismiss you. I am telling you that once I am wed, you will be gone. You will not be welcome here."

"And I am telling you, that you are not my employer, it is only Mr Warrington that can dismiss me." Louise answered defiantly, meeting Lady Marianne's icy gaze. She didn't understand why she was being so brazen, but she couldn't help herself.

Lady Marianne's face contorted in rage. "You impudent wretch! How dare you speak to me that way!" Her voice had risen to a shriek. "Mark my words, Miss Louise. You will regret this encounter. You will not win against me!" She rose from her seat, her fists clenched at her sides. Louise merely gave a short curtsy before turning and walking swiftly from the room, ignoring Lady Marianne's continued tirade. As she hurried down the hallway, she could hear the woman's voice growing fainter and fainter behind her. She had no idea what she had just done, but she knew it was dangerous. Her heart pounded as she made her way back to her own chambers.

Once inside, Louise sank down onto her bed, shaking slightly. She had stood up to Lady Marianne but at what cost? Clearly the woman would stop at nothing to remove her from the household, simply out of petty jealousy. She knew she had to be careful now, keep her head down and avoid any further confrontations. But it was hard when Lady Marianne seemed to find every opportunity to make her life miserable. Louise sat on her bed despair threatening to overwhelm her. Lady Marianne's words kept echoing in her mind. Once Sebastian married her, Louise would be cast out, her position given to a new governess of Lady Marianne's choosing. Louise wrung her hands, wondering what would become of her. She had no family, no connections outside of the Warrington household. Where would she go? How would she survive? The future looked bleak and uncertain.

More concerning still was Katherine. Over a few months Louise had come to love the bright young girl dearly. They had shared many adventures together, from picnics in the garden to reading stories by the fire. The thought of leaving her behind, of never seeing her again, was almost unbearable. She had become the light in Louise's life, a constant reminder of the good that still existed in the world.

And then there was Sebastian. Dear, sweet Sebastian. He made her feel alive in ways she had never thought possible. When they were together, no one else existed, just the two of them caught up in their shared passion. His kisses made her feel cherished, desired. Yet they both knew, deep down, that a future between them was impossible. Not with Lady Marianne determined to tear them apart. Once he married Lady Marianne, he would be forever out of Louise's reach. They would have to be content with stolen moments here and there. Louise would spend her life pining for a man she could never fully posses. It was a cruel fate, but she couldn't help but feel that it was better than the alternative. At least she would know that Sebastian was happy, and that he had a good life. Even if it meant losing her own piece of happiness in the process.

Was this anguish worth it? Should she save herself further heartbreak and end it with Sebastian before he was wed? He would be a married man; she would only end up irreparably hurt. And yet...when she imagined never seeing Sebastian again, never feeling his tender embrace or passionate kisses, it was too much to bear. Surely some secret understanding was better than nothing at all. Her mind swirled with possibilities, each more hopeless than the last. No matter what choice she made, they could not be together as she desperately wanted. The world would never accept their love.