Kal and the Valet

The Queen felt energy humming through her. She couldn't go back to Kal, not just yet. She was far too pent up with energy. She released Lonnie to teach Kal a lesson in protocol and etiquette, and excused herself to ride her horse with a guard for a few hours.

Kal looked up in excitement when the door to the Queen's bedroom opened, but her heart sank when she saw the Valet.

"Don't look so happy," said the Valet dryly. "I've brought you food. You're going to learn a little bit about how to eat in front of the Queen. Being an uncultured wretch at the dining table won't win anyone over at home." She clapped her hands, and a train of servants came marching in. They brought a table, a chair, set the table with an array of silver things from a flat case lined in red velvet, and pulled out the chair for Kal to sit. She did this very cautiously.

"Dining is a show, and if you can at least master basic manners, you will have won the Queen over with a little bit of that charm you have hidden in you."

"Lonnie...you're actually nice to me. I thought you didn't really like me."

The Valet paused, and looked at Kal, as though seeing her for the first time. She held her eye contact, and reached out, took her chin in her hand, and tilted it up. "I don't see a malicious person in you. I see a person who my Queen needs, who needs my Queen in turn. I did not like you at first, but today, my Queen laid justice publicly against the thieves who had done you so poorly. And I've hardly ever seen a fire in her like that. If you make her feel powerful enough to speak her voice in such a way, I think it is worth seeing you succeed at learning your etiquette."

Kal smiled.

Lonnie gently shook her chin. "But don't get smug. You have a long, long way to go."

Kal nodded, fixing Lonnie with a moon-eyed look. "I want to do well."

"Then you had better pick up your manners fast, and prove to the Queen you're interested in joining her world."

Kal nodded, and Lonnie let her go. "Now. Let's look at your cutlery."

"What's cutlery?"

Lonnie sighed. "Your silverware."

"These?" She pointed to her eating utensils.

"Yes, those," said the Valet, rubbing her forehead. This was going to be a little harder than she thought.