45. Soul Ties.

"He's definitely going to kill you, trial or not, tough life, huh?"

Of course, he's here too, "Do you live in the walls?"

"Something like that."

"How is that even possible?"

"Ancient spells, an artefact and an equally crazy bitch hellbent on making my life miserable."

Stunned to silence since I wasn't expecting him to answer, I try turning towards the source of his voice, determined to ask for a more elaborate answer but the ties slam me back.

I so did not like magical stuff anymore.

"You really have to get out of here whilst they are in session, it could be your only chance of getting out of here in one piece."

"What is the use? I'll just end up in bigger shit, I'd rather just wait it out."

"Ah, you are awaiting your knight in shining armour, I didn't peg you for that type of girl, you seemed...stronger."

His statement irks me as he no doubt intended and I almost jump out of the chair, "You take that back Casper, I am not weak."

"There it is," he starts smug, "There's the fire, now use that to save yourself."

"How am I supposed to do that? These ties are magical, are you blind too?"

"Yes they are magical, but so are you, so get out of them, it's a simple spell, they teach it in Magic 101."

"I can't do magic, I don't know any Magic 101 crap, magic is how I landed in this mess in the first place!"

"Calm down little one, don't feel self-conscious. We are all lacking in some way. It is not a crime to be, you know... slow."

Oh, the nerve of this man, "I..." I go to retort when the weight of the ties lifts suddenly and my limbs spring free.

"There, easy peasy, now go."

"What about you, let's leave together, I can't leave you here?"

"Why not?"

The genuine curiosity and confusion in his tone almost breaks my heart, but I hold out.

"It's the humane thing to do, you saved my life so I'm indebted to you."

As soon as those words leave my lips, a sudden weight settles on my chest.

"You idiot!" He sighs, "You really didn't listen in school, did you?"

"What was that? What do you mean? And don't call me that."

"Mage survival guide 101; Never make a deal with a fae and don't tie yourself to one."

"What does that mean?"

"It means," I can tell how frustrated the man is and it chaffs, "You are tied to me till Faery deems the debt repaid."

"Oh, that's it?" I ask relieved, he'd made it seem like it was something more.

"You..."

"Finish that, call me that one more time. I dare you." I was going to become stupid if they kept calling me that.

"Think of it as a sort of soul tie," he starts, wisely refraining from calling me names, "If I get harmed so do you, and vice versa. Do you get it now? We are completely linked!"