4 - Vancouver

"Lost in thought?" Caleb asked.

I smiled as his presence brought back uncomplicated memories of roasted goose and piano melodies. With him, it didn't matter how close we got because we both would part ways at our final destination. No expectations.

"Something like that."

He leaned on the seat in front of me, fixing me with his warm gaze. "I wish we were sitting together. My seatmate knows nothing about polar bears."

With a chuckle, I said, "You should complain to the airline."

"I plan to, but visiting you was more appealing."

That made me grin and excitement dance in my stomach. "I prefer your presence to my spiralling thoughts."

The grooves in his forehead deepened like ridges on a sandbar. "Everything okay?"

Caleb was a distraction, not a reason to delve into my messy past. "I'd rather not talk about it."

He nodded like he understood. "What do you want to talk about?"

"About how much better the carry-on bins are on this flight. Or maybe my seatmates aren't space hogs like my last one."

He chuckled, brightening up those forest eyes. "Just admit you fell mask over flippers for me."

"How long did it take you to come up with that?"

His face broke into another sunny smile. "Longer than I'd care to admit."

We laughed together, and as a person passed, he squeezed closer. He smelled like cedar, which must have arrived after his shower. I loved it when a guy made me feel lost in a forest instead of doused in offensive cologne or spray-on deodorant that brought back unpleasant memories of middle school.

"That flight attendant is giving me the stink eye. I'll bother you later?" Caleb raised an eyebrow and wore a cute, hopeful smile.

"I'm looking forward to it."

I wasn't lying. He was the best part of this lengthy journey. As I fought my response to sleep, given it was long past midnight back home, my heavy eyelids kept darting open to see if I'd glimpse him. I lost the battle and snuggled into the scarf I used as a pillow and sweater to catch a few hours of interrupted sleep that left my body stiff and my mouth dry.

When I awoke, the morning drink service rolled down the aisles with tea, coffee, and those plastic cups of juice. I pried open my crusty eyes and wiped my mouth as the flight attendant asked for my choice. I let the sugar in the orange juice I'd chosen wake me. The woman to my left slept, as did the row on the left side of the plane.

I spotted Caleb's smiling face. We gave each other a friendly wave before I let out an enormous yawn, making him laugh. When I had to use the washroom, I tore a paper out of my travel journal and wrote a quick message. I folded it and dropped it on his tray table as I passed, thankfully not in his tea.

When I returned, the aisle was too busy to chat, but he slipped the note into my hand, his long fingers lingering for an enticing second.

Back in my seat, I read our correspondence, starting with my invite. It certainly wasn't fancy Hong Kong duck, but I hoped he'd still say yes. 

'Breakfast snacks in Vancouver? It's not a trip to Canada without a Timbit. My treat :)'

'Interesting name for a snack. I'll wait for you at the gate :)'

I checked our flight map as the pilot announced that we'd be starting our descent into Vancouver and arriving at 8:30 PM Pacific time not of today, but yesterday. That was a mind warp, and my brain was too tired to figure out how that time travel worked.