18 - Adams-Vanderhoff Wedding Part 5

Once I reached the front of the yard, Caleb sat on the edge of the garden on a bench with his far elbow resting on the back. I approached but realized too late he was still on the phone and hadn't yet noticed me.

"You'll let me know if anything changes, right?" Helplessness echoed in his tone, and deep lines dug into the tanned skin on his brow. His leg vibrated against the bench and ground as it trembled.

I had only caught glimpses of vulnerable Caleb since the airport, but he hadn't willingly shown me this much, and it seemed like I was invading his privacy. Although I longed to hold him until that storm faded, much like he'd done for me at my parents' place. Whether it lasted five minutes or hours, that calm energy fluttered on my skin at just the thought of our touch. While I usually empathized with people I encountered, I hadn't experienced it to this degree since Trev. And that hadn't ended well for either of us.

But this was different. Trev had life-changing expectations while Caleb came along for the ride.

Caleb's gaze flickered to me, and he froze.

"Thanks for telling me. I've got to go. I'm at Vince's wedding now, but I'll call you later."

Whatever the other person said inspired a faint smile. "Will do. Talk to you soon. Luv ya, bye."

The word flowed off his tongue naturally. It had to be his sweet family, but the tightness in my shoulders didn't agree. While I willed that sensation away, it strengthened its grasp.

"Luv ya, that's cute. Who's the lucky human?"

Subtle Audrey, like a bright yellow raincoat and rainbow umbrella at a sombre funeral.

He tucked his phone in his pocket, not looking flustered or nervous. "My mum."

I nodded and sat beside him. He could tell me to bugger off, but he remained calm.

"Everything okay?"

"Not really, but I can't change it." He clasped his hands together.

Poor Caleb. He must feel so powerless. I hoped his mom was alright given how much he loved her and how sweet she seemed.

"Is she okay?"

He nodded, staring at the bees flitting from flower to flower in the garden. They seemed to love the fluffy, light purple bergamot blooms.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

He shook his head. With his non-verbal responses, I didn't want to push him too far. My presence alone might be too much for him.

"Do you want to be alone?"

His voice was faint. "No."

I scooted closer to him and took his hand like he did for me when I was upset. He squeezed it for a second before releasing mine and wrapping his arm around me instead. When I leaned my head against his shoulder, he exhaled, his breath leaving in shaky gasps. I understood that too well: holding it together as long as possible before the resolve crumbled and the world crushed me. Here, he was faking his way through a wedding date and charming my friends and family while he dealt with this. The guy was a saint I didn't deserve, but I would redeem myself.

"Is there anything else I can do?" I asked.

He met my gaze, those vulnerable green eyes sending a jolt to my chest. "Just stay a little longer."

"Of course."

We sat together, watching the occasional pickup truck pass on the gravel road in front of the house and kick up dust. His heartbeat remained steady in my ear, but his breathing grew more relaxed. His fingers absent-mindedly stroked my shoulder and arm, which lulled me into a sense of comfort and created a desire to snuggle into him. But the latter seemed invasive, so I tried to soothe him by rubbing his back, shoulders, and chest.