11 - Along the La Salle River

The following morning, we set off on our local sightseeing adventure. Upon Caleb's request for natural attractions, I drove to a park along the La Salle River near my parents' place. His eyes were glued to the window as he took in the golden and green fields of wheat, soybeans, corn, and flax, flat as the eye could see. It was a touch odd to be somewhere so flat where only the horizon obstructed our sightline.

In less than fifteen minutes, we arrived in a large parking lot populated by a few other cars, but far fewer than on a weekend. We crossed the greenspace interspersed with baseball fields, barbecue pits and a disc golf playing area. I'd never tried the game, which resembled the lovechild of frisbee, basketball, and golf, but wished I had a disc so Caleb and I could try it together. He seemed like he'd be a fun, playful partner.

Soon we reached the river with a red, arched pedestrian bridge. Caleb snapped photos  of the old-growth trees towering above us on his DSLR camera. The hefty grey squirrels also caught his attention as they lunged from tree to tree and chased each other away from their respective territories with squeaks and bark-like grunts. I'd missed the entertaining and adorable creatures while I was away. They were much less menacing than the bag-rifling monkeys in Thailand.

A few Canada geese drew Caleb toward the bridge. Once we arrived, we leaned on the rail and looked down the small, meandering river. Bright green trees lined both sides of the banks.

He smiled at me. "This park is gorgeous. Thanks for suggesting it."

It wasn't a typical tourist attraction, but I'd come here so often growing up that it seemed natural to bring him here. It warmed my heart he appreciated a place that meant something to me without even knowing it.

"You picked a nice time of year to come."

The sun illuminated everything and warmed our faces in that gentle way.

"Do you think we'll see a beaver?"

I shook my head. "Might catch a deer if we're lucky and the trail is quiet. But I imagine somewhere between here and Churchill I can find you one."

His smile was contagious. "I couldn't have asked for a better tour guide slash girlfriend."

That word made me giddier than it should have. I enjoyed being single and travelling alone and suspected Caleb was the sort of person who did too. But that giddiness would help us sell the act to our friends, so I let it linger.

"Gotta repay you for the trip to Churchill and being my buffer at the wedding," I said.

"No repayment needed. You're perfect company. But speaking of our fake relationship, shall we take some couple's photos? Just a splash of love." He gestured to the river flowing behind us.

I shook my head and laughed. "If we're doing this, you are not writing the captions."

"Who said anything about captions? The photos should speak for themselves. So what's your couple's pose of choice? Peck on the cheek or just standing close and letting our sizzling chemistry speak for itself."

I laughed to dispel the awkward sensation in my stomach. His tone was teasing, but his eyes burned into mine with intensity, almost daring me to do more.

Challenge accepted Caleb.

"How about this?"

I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head against his chest. Both he and the forest smelled amazing, a soothing piney, earthy, woody blend. His breathing hitched, but I wasn't backing down yet. Soon I shifted, so we were locked in a stare-down, but his emerald eyes erased all traces of my motives from my mind. He leaned closer, his warmth sending my heart racing.