17 - Adams-Vanderhoff Wedding Part 4

Once the room had cleared, Caleb and I headed to the bar to get some soft drinks and mingle with the crowd. I found Claire's parents to congratulate and catch up with, and soon, the bride and groom visited us. After quite a few hugs, tears and congratulations, Claire turned to us, studying Caleb with a grin.

"So this is the infamous Caleb. It's wonderful to meet you. Vince has nothing but good things to say about you and your family, and so does Audrey, which isn't as common as you'd think."

"Really? She was so elegant when we... on the plane ride here."

I snorted and shook my head. "It's not my fault everyone else had enormous carry-ons, and I was stuck ramming mine in like a frustrated bull."

Claire laughed. "That sounds about right. So I want all the details of how you met. Go on, dish."

I looked at Caleb as he'd fielded this one before, and my brain was stuck like an old computer at 95% on a system update. After that stunning ceremony, nothing I invented would ever match Claire and Vince's love story.

"I was on a family vacation in Labuan Bajo, and Audrey took us out for a dive. The way she talked about all the marine life and the ocean captivated me. She wasn't only there to show us around, but to share her passion and knowledge, which are two things I found very attractive."

His stare sent my stomach dancing to the light music playing from the barn. Was he sincere, as I had talked his ear off about Indonesia on the plane? Or was he using what he knew about my habits to build our lies? He'd remembered the town I was currently living in.

I couldn't ask now, so I deflected. "Yeah, he had many crushes on his teachers and professors growing up," I teased.

"It took a while to get over Ms. Chan and her wild anecdotes about wallabies, but she was quite happy with her husband and two kids, so I had to move on." He grinned back at me.

Claire glanced at me. "And Audrey, you need to spill because you are due for a cute romantic story."

"I apologize that my love life is not exciting enough for you."

Lines burrowed into Claire's forehead. "You're stalling."

"Okay. Caleb's a sweet, funny, and easygoing guy."

"I want more than that. His story was much more personal."

Both she and Caleb stared at me. I tucked my hair behind my right ear. Like him, I could fish through our genuine experiences to craft our story.

"If you must know, I like how easily we fit into each other's lives. Showing him around the city and diving was like getting to share the things I love with someone who cares about them as much as I do. We want the same things, and it feels right."

That put a satisfied smile on Claire and Vince's faces, while Caleb put a warm arm around my shoulder and pulled me nearer. Each time we got close, my desire to melt into his arms increased.

Claire turned to Caleb. "So by her logic, you'd love to tour Australia in a backpacker van?"

"I'm more partial to a tent, but," he turned to me, "If you'd do a Canada road trip with me, I'll do Australia with you." That smile would do me in if that offer didn't do it first. Was he serious?

"Does Churchill count?" Because I'd happily jump on a plane to Australia to uphold my end of the bargain if it did.

"Nah, I want coast to coast. Mountains and rainforest to seafood, lighthouses, and Viking landing spots."

His sense of adventure made my heart dance, and someone who had an international road trip planned had to share my drive to explore. Did he have other countries on his travel bucket list? Was he willing to give up or work abroad to see the world together?