❀̥˚ chapter two - partners ❀̥˚

My mouth fell to the ground when Sir Gomez, our Contemporary Arts teacher, just announced that we are having a group presentation. What's worse is that we have to pair up with our seatmates in a group of threes. 

There are 6 chairs in every row, and Maven happened to be placed at the first one in the second row, to the utmost left side. I was seated next to him, and to my right is Regina Domingo, who by the way, is secretly reapplying her lipstick for the nth time. I groaned inwardly as I assessed my situation.

I guess someone at the back raised his or her hand because Sir Gomez addressed them with a “Yes, what is it?”

“Sir, not to be rude, but I think that it's unfair for the top 1 and 2 of our class to be in the same group.”

I turned my head to the one speaking, and was surprised to see that Criselle was the one who raised that question. Hmm... that's kind of weird. But oh! Maybe it's because she wanted to be in my group instead, that's why!

But my hope was crushed when the teacher said that it's not necessary, because according to him the rest of the class just have to step up their game in order to “beat” us. I discreetly rolled my eyes.

Not to brag, but I am actually the top 1, and Maven is the top 2 in our class based on the class rankings last semester. So this project might be to my advantage after all, just like how Criselle implied. But she seems kind of angry about this setup in the project. Do I talk to her about it? I glanced her way and she looked so serious while writing something in her notebook. But when she noticed me staring at her, she gave me a weak smile. I returned that smile but I was already a bit worried. Maybe I'll go talk to her after the class is over.

──❀̥˚─ - ─◌──❀̥˚──

“Criselle, can I talk to you–”

“Hey sorry girl, I can't talk right now. We have a meeting in our club so I'm needed there right now. Gotta go bye, love you!” And there she goes, practically running and almost bumping into some students because she's in such a hurry.

I didn't even finish asking my question. I just laughed to myself 'cause it looks like she really was late to that said meeting.

I turned around to see if Regina was still here but my mood immediately soured. I balled my hand into a fist when I saw that she was already gone from her seat. I clearly told her earlier to stay after class for a while, so that we can discuss what to do for the presentation. I expected this already, but it still boils my blood nonetheless. There's nothing I hate more than useless groupmates. I took a deep breath before deciding I should just text her.

[Hi Regina, where did you go? I thought I told you earlier that we have a meeting for the task that Sir Gomez gave us.]

I waited for a few minutes.

Seenzoned.

Great. I took a deep breath before coming up with another message.

[Hi, I'll let this go for now but please join the meeting next time, or I'll have to cut you off from this group. We only have a limited time to do this project so I'm afraid I can't ignore it if this setback happens again. Hoping to see a reply from you, Godbless.]

There. That's better. I really hope she does text me back though because I don't want to be the bad guy in this scenario. But I just can't let her not contribute to the project and for her to still expect a high grade. That's just unfair.

I turned to Maven to say that Regina will not be joining us, but he cut me off before I could speak. “Let's just go to my house to discuss the project. But first, wait for me because I still have something to do.” And with that he strode off and left the room.

The audacity! God!

I stood there for a few minutes, shouting curses at Maven inside my head, until I just decided to follow him instead to give him a piece of my mind. I mean, does he really just expect me to sit there and wait for him like a dog? Screw that.

I spotted him near the school gate, much to my shock. What the–is he leaving me? After telling me to wait for him?! “Hey! Where do you think you're going?!” My rage grew astronomically. If my death glare can kill, he'd be writhing in pain within seconds.

But of course, he didn't hear me and just continued to walk away. Is he wearing headphones? Oh for God's sake.

My breath hitched when he suddenly glanced at his watch. He looked a bit shocked for a moment, and then started running so fast that I could barely catch up to him. And when I did, I was wheezing from lack of breath. “Hey! how dare you leave me–”

I stopped talking when he suddenly removed his headphones and carried a little girl in his arms. Huh? I looked up to where we are, and it looks like we're outside a small private elementary school that is near ours. I glanced at the little girl and was shocked to see that she was a carbon copy of Maven! Awww... she's like a mini girl version of him, how cute.

So wait, is that his sister? Ohh, I think she is. He probably went here first to fetch her after school. As the realization dawned on me, I cringed a little at myself for my reaction earlier to him leaving.

I looked at them again. Maven looks so happy to be with her, and I can't blame him, his little sister is so damn cute! And seeing them together like this flutters my heart in a way that I can't explain. I mean, the scene before me is just too adorable ok? But it seems that Maven is a little too old to be his big brother, and if I was crazy, I would think that was his daughter. But I just concluded that if they are indeed siblings, then maybe they just have a huge age gap between them. Duh. 

Maven kissed her on the forehead and said, “Before we go home, let's go to my school first. I need to–”

He stopped abruptly when our eyes met. He was clearly not expecting me to follow him since he told me to stay put. He put his sister down and walked over to me. 

“What the hell are you doing here? I told you to wait for me! Did you really follow me all the way here? Argh! why didn't you listen to me??”

His ears turned red from anger. Or is it from embarrassment? I smiled cheekily at him. “Is that your little sister over there?” He mumbled the word “yes” and walked back to his sister.

“My parents are working late today so someone needed to take care of my sister. That's why I suggested that we go to my house so that I can look after her.”

Is this real? The intimidating Maven I knew in school turned out to be such a softie and a caring big brother all along! And awww, look he's feeling shy, he can't even look straight into my eyes! I laughed and said, “Don't worry, I understand. But next time, don't just leave me alone without giving me any clear explanation, ok?”

He smiled. “Got it.” Then a tiny dimple showed. Hmm... how cute.

°•
°•
──❀̥˚─ - ─◌──❀̥˚──
°•
°•

End of Chapter 2.

Thank you for reading! Your votes and comments are truly appreciated. ♡