❀̥˚ chapter three - a wizard or a demigod ❀̥˚

I gaped at Maven's house. Big was an understatement. It's literally a huge mansion. Damn, what a rich kid!

Maven looked at me coldly. “Make yourself comfortable. I'm just going to freshen up in my room first.”

Then he just left me here in their living room. I blinked slowly as I tried not to feel overwhelmed. I looked at Maven's retreating back. So now he's back to his cold self, huh? Or maybe what happened earlier was just a glitch in his system?

Or maybe he just doesn't care about you, dumbass. I cringed.

“Hello ate, what's your name?”

I looked at the little girl in front of me and smiled. “My name is Karmina, but you can call me Ate Mina. How about you sweet little girl, what's your name?” I brushed stray hairs away from her face, and tucked it back behind her ear.

She giggled. “My name is Eri.”

She then proceeded to tell me lots of stories about her classmates and family members. I can tell that she is a very bubbly and cute kid. So how can someone so pure like her be related to Maven? I shook my head.

After a while, Maven came back to the sight of me and Eri happily talking, and me braiding her soft hair.

Surprisingly he offered me and Eri some iced tea and... pancit canton?? Wow, how surprising indeed. You can call me thick-skinned or whatever, but I gladly accepted it since I was starving. And the bar is so low, but boy does he make a mean pancit canton!

After the meal, we rested for a while. I almost dozed off on their sofa because it was too soft, and did I mention that their whole house is air conditioned? How lucky!

He gently tapped me on the shoulder. “Hey, let's go to my room so that we don't disturb Eri's sleep.”

I looked back at the other end of the sofa, and he was right, Eri is already sleeping peacefully. Aww, she looks like a little angel, how cute!

But as his words dawned on me, I instantly bolted out of my seat. Wait, what did he say? Go to his room? I gulped. Why am I so nervous?

I meekly nodded at him and followed him up the stairs quietly. I gasped the moment I saw his room. It's twice as big compared to mine! And– “Oh my god! You actually read books?” I shouted in admiration when I saw his bookshelf. Huh, It's mostly filled with mystery-thriller books. My eyes widened when I saw that he has almost all of Peter Swanson's books, including my favorite, Eight Perfect Murders! “Oh my gosh, you have a physical copy of this book? Ugh, I'm so jealous right now.” He even has the popular YA fantasy books such as the Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Divergent series. My eyes are practically beaming at him.

“So, are you a wizard or a demigod?”

“A what?”

I eyed him in a way that said 'you know what I'm talking about'.

He looked away and said “Wizard”.

Oh, so he's a Harry Potter fan huh?

I made a tsk-tsk sound. “As much as I love Harry Potter, I would first and foremost always be a demigod.”

“Let me guess, it's because Percy Jackson was your first love or your childhood crush right?” My face reddened like a tomato but I still rolled my eyes at him. “I mean duh, who doesn't love him?”

He just laughed at me. Wow.

I plopped down and sat at the chair in his room. He joined me and now, we're discussing what we're going to do for the project. As he explains his ideas and plans, I realize how clever he truly is. I was glad he was my groupmate, because setting aside all the ridiculous things I've said to describe him, Maven is indeed a responsible guy whom I can rely on. I mean there is a reason why he almost beat me at being the top 1 student. I smiled to myself. He wasn't really so bad after all.