Ch. 13: Totally Not Suspicious Pt. 3

Admittedly, I almost let out a chuckle at Gilbert's question. Instead, I just looked at him dumbfounded and a little amused. Oh, Gilbert, I thought you were smarter than this! Surely, you would have recognized a basic wind spell from up close! I mean– sure, I modified it a bit to ensure it'll kill the fireball instead of making it bigger– but just by one glance, it would be obvious to any Paladin or mage that it was your run-of-the-mill wind spell.

"I just used a simple wind spell. I tweaked it a bit so it wouldn't fan the flames instead, but other than that, it wasn't too different from the wind spell you're first taught as kids." I explained, brushing off this subject like it was nothing, but Gilbert had given me a look of utter disbelief, and for the first time in our entire conversation thus far, his body slumped.

"C-can you do it again?" Lucas was the one to speak up this time, and like his brother, his tone was also faltering. What's so surprising about the wind spell I did earlier? Even non-organization Paladins know the spell I used in case of emergencies.

"Y-yeah? Of course, I can. Like I said, it's just a simple wind spell." I answered, thinking he was asking if it was a just one-off, but then I realized he probably wanted me to demonstrate it. I looked around the room and searched for the candelabra I noticed in the room before, which was placed on one of the drawers in the room.

Grayson-Lilim Mock-Up Activated

All Conditions Met⌟

Not really putting much thought into it, I flicked my wrist at the candelabra's direction and used a tiny fireball spell to light the candles simultaneously. Then I switched to a smaller version of the same wind spell I used earlier to extinguish them.

"I told you, it's a simple wind spell. Not that different from your basics." I reiterated to the two kids, but when I looked back at their direction, Lucas had also joined his brother in a slumped posture in his chair. What's wrong with these two all of a sudden?

"First a wind spell, now a fireball too... young master Julius, since when?" Gilbert suddenly asked, and I just blinked at him a few times in confusion.

"Since when what?" I asked, genuinely oblivious to what he was talking about. I'm getting really weirded out now. What's the big deal about these simple spells? It's not like I raised the dead or healed an incurable disease. Every Paladin can do wind and fire spells.

...

Every... Paladin. Oh fuck.

"Julius, you have mana! You just used mana! Since when have you had the ability to use mana?! How long have you been using mana?!" Lucas exclaimed as he suddenly stood up from his seat, "You're supposed to be manaless, Julius! How can you use mana all of a sudden?!"

I can't. That's the truth. As a human, I cannot use nor manipulate mana, I'm unaffected by trace mana– by default, I shouldn't even be able to sense mana! Yet here I was, using spells that Paladins and mages use! I had normalized the idea of Paladins– mages being the majority population and everyone having mana in this world, that I forgot that I, myself am not one of them! I was still reincarnated through the Grayson-Lilim system! A system that only a human family had! My reincarnation is still a human! I'm still a human! I'm not supposed to be using spells! I've only been able to use Paladin spells through the system's Mock-Up feature, which like its name suggests– sort of– it creates a mock version of mana, an alternative to mana that allows humans to use spells– but it is not mana!

Sure, I could have been using the system's Mock-Up feature my whole life as Julius and just assumed it was mana– but from what Lucas just told me point-blank, I don't think I knew I could use this feature! I've likely never used Mock-Up before in this life!