Chapter Ten

"That wasn't very nice, Anita," I retorted to my editor as she practically struck down almost everything I'd submitted.

"That wasn't very you, Ava," she scowled at me, striking down more. "I mean, what exactly was that?"

I frowned. "You and David have been on my neck, so I'm giving you guys exactly what you asked for. And you've never called my work 'shit' before."

She gave me a look.

"What?" I asked. "You guys practically asked for an update in three weeks, and here I am."

"Ava... I know this is hard, but have you been distracted lately?"

I rolled my eyes. "Distracted? Really, Anita? Is that your way of saying my work's gone downhill?"

Anita sighed, her frustration evident. "Ava, you're better than this. You used to bring fire to your writing. Lately, it's like you're just going through the motions."

"I have an important project to complete before next week and guess what? I haven't even started. I also have to drop three chapters before next week for you guys, and guess what? This writer has had a block. So if you think it's easy to bring fire to my writing at this point, think again."

"Ava... I didn't mean you should juggle everything all at once. What is going on?"

I huffed, crossing my arms. "Fine. You want to know what's going on? My personal life's a mess, okay? I've got problems with my mom, Blake is back, and I don't know why, and then there's this... this guy on my mind, and it's messing with my focus."

Anita's expression softened. "Oh, Ava. Why didn't you say something sooner? You know you can talk to me about anything."

I shrugged, suddenly feeling exposed. "I didn't want to burden you with my drama. Besides, I thought I could handle it on my own. You're just my editor, after all."

Anita reached across the desk, squeezing my hand gently. "You're not burdening anyone, Ava. We're a team, remember? Now, tell me about this guy and about Blake too."

I hesitated, unsure if I should divulge the details. "He's not a guy," I clarified, my voice softening. "I mean, it's not about my love life."

Anita leaned in, her curiosity piqued. "So what is it then?" she asked, her eyes searching my face for answers.

Taking a deep breath, I finally opened up. "I've hired a ghostwriter," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "His username is Sin. He's... different. There's something about him that gives me the creeps."

Anita's eyes widened in surprise. "Sin?"

"Yes. That's his username."

"Sin... Sin."

"Will you please stop repeating his name?"

"No, no that's not it." She paused, her fingers tapping the table, and continued "I mean, I've heard of him," she exclaimed. "He's a very talented writer. I've worked with him on several projects for some of my clients. His work is impeccable."

My heart sank as I processed Anita's words. If Sin was truly as talented as she claimed, perhaps I had been too quick to judge him. Yet, despite Anita's reassurance, the feeling of unease still lingered in the pit of my stomach. "Sin wasn't a good guy"