Bonding With Jeongin

[This is a compilation chapter. The scenes below either happened before the survival show or during the survival show]

"Oppa, you can go higher in the chorus. I think It'll be better," Kala told Jeongin after he asked her for advice on his singing part in 'Hellevator'.

"Ah, okay, okay." Jeongin nodded and tried singing the chorus part again, then looked at Kala to share her opinion.

She tilted her head for a split second, unsure. "Try to sing it a little higher."

"Alright." Jeongin obediently did what Kala suggested and sang his part once more.

Kala inhaled, still not satisfied. She could feel Jeongin hesitating when he was about to do a high note. "Oppa, I'm sure you can go higher than that."

Jeongin pursed his lips, feeling doubtful of his own ability. "You think so?"

"Hundred percent," Kala certainly stated. "Do you want me to sing it for you first?"

"That'll be great."

The younger girl demonstrated the singing that she wanted Jeongin to do and he paid attention to it very carefully without any bias of 'he was older so he was the right one'.

"Okay, I got it now." Jeongin tried again with a much more confident self.

And that was when Kala clapped her hands in approval. "That's the one! I like that!"

They high-fived proudly.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

The members were having lunch in the dance practice room. They ordered fried chicken for today's menu. A circle was formed as they enjoyed the food together.

Kala who took notice that Hyunjin kinda struggling when he ate the spicy one wanted to offer him her soda. She couldn't drink it anyway because it was the kind that contained a little alcohol. But remembering their awkward saga was still going on, Kala grabbed Jeongin's sleeve who sat next to her and whispered something to his ear.

"Hyunjin Hyung, Kala said do you want her soda?" Jeongin delivered the message that Kala entrusted him.

"H-huh? I mean, can I?" Hyunjin asked, but his eyes were on Jeongin.

"Can he?" Jeongin sent the question to Kala.

She nodded.

Jeongin nodded to Hyunjin.

"Why aren't you drinking?" Hyunjin to Jeongin, gaze was still on him also.

"Why aren't you drinking?" Jeongin to Kala.

"She's allergic to alcohol," Jisung who was stressed just by watching them playing Postman answered the question for Kala.

"Really?" Hyunjin→Jeongin.

"Really?" Jeongin→Kala.

"Yeah," Kala→Jeongin, giving the soda to him.

"Yeah," Jeongin→Hyunjin, giving the soda to him.

Jisung groaned in frustration.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Changbin rolled his eyes, annoyed by the two maknaes who were doing their homework together in the boys' dorm, and in the middle of it, randomly started arguing about which one came first, the chicken or the egg.

"No, chicken was definitely the first. Where did eggs come from if not from chickens? Did they just decide to exist one day?" Kala insisted with strong determination that could make anyone back off, but not with her debate opponent.

"Eggs existed even before chickens! Ancient animals produced eggs! Dinosaurs produced eggs!" Jeongin argued passionately, not planning to lose the sudden debate competition.

"Yeah, but they were dinosaurs' eggs, not chickens'!" Kala yelled like she was fighting for her country's freedom.

"There is something called evolution, Ryu Kala, and that's what happened to them! You should pay more attention in your science class."

"You pay attention."

"No, you."

"You."

If it weren't for the fact that these two were the youngest, Changbin would've stuffed their mouth with Jisung's socks right now.

Actually, that was a good idea. Should he do it?

Before Changbin's intrusive thought really won, Kala brought him to his senses. "Hyungnim, what side are you on? The chicken or the egg first?"

Changbin who couldn't enjoy watching his K-drama since he turned the TV on just sighed. "Whoever came first, I'm still gonna cook and eat them at the end, so both of you shut your mouths or I'll make you choose which one of you get to taste Jisung's socks first, Yang Jeongin or Ryu Kala."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

"Kala-ya, are you crying?" Jeongin was in panic mode instantly when he went to the rooftop of the JYPE building to have some alone time but unintentionally found Kala sobbing on one of the gazebos.

Kala was startled at the older boy's presence. She quickly wiped her tears until there was no trace left. "Oppa, you're here."

"Why are you crying?" Jeongin sat beside her and began the interrogation.

"I-I'm not crying," she sniffled, "a bug landed on my eyes."

"What a convincing excuse, you should try acting."

She slapped his arm hard. "What a jerk."

Jeongin ouch-ed while rubbing his arm and brought back the topic. "What is it, Kala? Did something happen?"

Kala shook her head, sniffling again. "No, nothing happened. I just..." she trailed off.

"You just...?" he hung his words for her to continue.

"I just... miss home." Tears filled her eyes again. "I miss my grandma, oppa. It's been two years since I left her alone."

As Kala's tears were back, Jeongin couldn't help but feel he was about to cry too. "Don't cry, Kala." He led her head to his shoulder and embraced her there, ending up crying with her.

They cried together for a solid ten minutes, making each other's shirts wet. The cloud suddenly turned grey as if it felt their sadness. One who missed home, and one who became her new home.

When Kala finally felt better, she slowly let go of Jeongin who also had his eyes welled up. She laughed at his red face. "Why are you crying too?"

"Because you're crying and I don't know what to do. I just cried with you instead so you won't feel alone."

That day, Jeongin was the first person in Stray Kids who saw Kala cry, and it was the start of his promise.