Chapter 1

As I step into the bookstore, the scent of new books fill the air around me. It's my last shift of the summer, so I head to the back to put everything away.
Walking back into the bookstore getting to work rearranging books and giving the new ones their place. As I turn the corner, I spot the owner, Flora.

"Hey, Emily!" she greets me with a smile, pushing a cart and waving.

"Hey, Flora! How's it going?" I reply, closing the distance between us.

"I'm great, honey. How about you? Excited to start school again?" she asks, stacking a pile of books onto her cart.

"To be honest, I'm not sure how I'm feeling. Ready to be done with it, but also really nervous. None of my friends will be there since I missed a year, you know?" I share, feeling a bit uncertain.

"Yeah, well, you're great at making new friends, so don't worry too much, sweetie," Flora reassures me, handing me a few books to put away. "And by the way, it might be good for you to start something new again, to focus on."

"Yeah, you're probably right," I respond, just as the bell rings, signaling a customer entering the store. "I'll catch up with you later, Flora," I say, making my way over to the customer to see if they need any help.

I'm about to speak to the lady who's entered the store, when a little girl is running to, I'm assuming, her mom.

"Hi, if there's anything I can help you with, let me know." I say as the little girl is trying to pull the lady with her. "Alright, thank you." The lady smiles, following the girl to the children's section.

After a little while, the lady returns to me without the girl by her side and asks, "By the way, do you have any recommendations for books that are great for a cozy evening read?"

"Absolutely! We have a wonderful selection of books perfect for a cozy evening. Whether you're in the mood for a mystery, a romance, or some non-fiction, I can definitely help you find something you'll love," I reply with enthusiasm.

As I lead the lady to the section filled with captivating books, I ask, "Do you have any specific genres or authors in mind that you enjoy?"

The lady smiles and says, "I'm open to anything, really. Surprise me!"

I can't help but feel excited about helping her discover a new favorite book. I start showcasing a range of titles that I think she might enjoy. Some of these books happen to be my all-time favorites, so I'm really hoping she loves them too, if she decides to read them.

"What's this one about?" she asks, pointing at "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo."

"Well, I can't say too much without spoiling it, but it's about a famous Hollywood actress named Evelyn Hugo. The story unfolds through interviews with a journalist named Monique Grant. Evelyn shares the stories behind her seven marriages and the secrets she's kept hidden for decades," I explain, seeing that she's still intrigued, I continue, "By the end, you'll discover who her true love was. It's a heartbreakingly beautiful book, so if you're even a little interested, give it a try. It won't disappoint you," I say with a smile, handing her the book.

"Great! I think I'm going to take this one then," she replies, smiling back at me. It's only now that I see how beautiful she actually is. Her dark blond hair, that frames her face in soft waves, make her blue eyes stand out. Her lips a perfect shade of pink and don't get me started on her facial structure.

Realizing I've been staring, I quickly snap out of it. "Alright, I'll take it to the front for you," I say, turning away to hide the fact I'm blushing.

At the counter, I ring up the books. "Do you want a bag?" I ask her. "Yes, that would be great," she replies, so I start putting the books in a bag and hand it to her. Just as she's about to leave, I hear her call out, "Come on Ellie!" I turn around and see the little girl running towards her from the children's section.

The lady turns back to me and says, "Thanks again for the recommendation. I'll let you know what I thought when I finish it."

"Great, looking forward to it," I respond with a smile, bidding them farewell as they head out of the store together.

I smile to myself as I go back to my tasks. After a while it starts to get darker outside and I know my shift is coming to an end. Don't get me wrong I love working here but I love not working a little more.

I make my way to the back to gather my belongings and check the time. Only five minutes left. I scan the area, searching for Flora to bid her farewell.

"There you are," I exclaim as I spot her behind a stack of books. "I'm heading home now. See you next week, Flora." With a smile, I sling my tote bag over my shoulder.

Flora returns the smile and stands up, offering some words of encouragement. "Alright, sweetie. See you next week. Be safe on your way home. And remember, keep your head up tomorrow. You'll do great."

"Thanks, Flora," I reply, feeling grateful for her support. I give her a warm hug before leaving the store.

• • •

Once I'm back home, I immediately start texting my friends, asking for their fashion advice. Even though they've already graduated and won't be there tomorrow, I still value their opinions.

Emily
Should I wear my cargo jeans or just regular jeans?

Lily
Girl, go for the cargo jeans! They always make your butt look amazing ;)

Alex
Totally agree with Lily, you look so hot in them! Especially with a tight-fitting shirt that shows off your curves, babe!

Emily
Haha, alright, I'll send you a picture tomorrow so you can admire me even more.

Lily
Don't get too full of yourself, Emily. (But seriously, if I were gay, I'd totally be into you)

Alex
"Born to be gay, forced to be straight" - I feel you, Lily

Emily
Okay, I'm just gonna ignore you both and go to sleep because you're being weird now. Goodnight!

Lily
Goodnight, babe!

Alex
Yes, goodnight! And don't forget to send that photo ;)

Before going to sleep, I take a quick shower.
As I'm laying in my bed, my heart starts to drift. I can't help but think about that woman from the bookstore. Will she actually come back after finishing the book, or was she just being polite? I really hope she does come back though, because she was absolutely stunning, like out of this world beautiful. I know she's older than me, but honestly, I don't care. I've always had a thing for older women, even when they're married with kids and totally straight. A girl can dream, right? And she's definitely one of those women who will stay on my mind.

A/N
Okay, so not a lot happening in this chapter but it's important for the next chapters:))
Let me know what you think or what you'd like to see in this book! I'll add as much as possible<3