Chapter 5

Monday arrives, and I find myself waking up before my alarm goes off. The sun peeks through the branches of the tree outside my window, casting a golden hue across my room. It's quite peaceful looking outside as the warm sun touches my skin. The world completely asleep save for a few early risers walking their dogs or out for a jog.

Making my way to the bathroom, I step into the shower and freshen up. Today is said to be the hottest day of the year, so I mentally prepare myself. Realizing that enduring the day in long sleeves will be unbearable, I opt for a tight-fitting skirt paired with a short-sleeved shirt. I also grab my lightest cardigan and slip it on. That way, I can easily take it off if necessary, but also have the option to cover up if I feel uncomfortable.

It's still early, so I decide to take Diva for a walk to the nearby dog park. She eagerly leads the way, clearly excited. Upon arrival, I recognize a few familiar faces and decide to let Diva off her leash. She immediately joins in the play with the other dogs while I find a spot to sit on one of the benches. I relax completely as the warmth of the sun embraces my skin.

After twenty minutes, I call Diva back, and we head back home. It's 7:40, and with school starting at 8:30, I still have plenty of time to make it there.
As we arrive home, Dad rushes out while Mom is busy making pancakes.

"Hi, Dad. Bye, Dad," I say as he dashes out the door.

"Bye, honey! See you tonight," he calls after me.

"Where were you?" Mom questions as she hands me a plate.

"To the dog park. I was up early and decided to take Diva out for a walk," I reply, filling my plate with a few pancakes. Mid-bite, I suddenly realize that I don't have access to a car, meaning I'll have to walk to school. Mom leaves in five minutes, and she's headed in the opposite direction, so I can't ask for a ride.

"Shit," I mutter.

"What's wrong?" Mom asks.

"I just realized I don't have a car, so I'll have to walk," I explain, glancing at the clock.

"Well, you better get going. It's not too far by car, but walking can take a while," she advises, packing a few items for me to take.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll see you tonight! Bye," I say, slipping on my shoes and rushing out the door.

As I near the school parking lot, the bell rings, signaling the start of classes. I break into a quick run, eager to make it inside on time. Rushing past my locker, I grab my English book. Though I'm only ten minutes late, I'm unsure of how Ms. Anderson will react to tardiness. I knock on the door, hearing a faint "come in" from the other side. I push open the door and step into the classroom.

"Look who decided to join todays lesson," Ms. Anderson remarks annoyed.

"I'm sorry, I had to walk he-" I begin to explain.

"I don't care. You're late and disrupting my lesson. Sit down and be quiet," she snaps, cutting me off. Quickly, I take a seat, trying to compose myself. With my heart still racing from the sprint on the hottest day of the year, I focus on regulating my breathing as Ms. Anderson resumes her lesson.

"Are you okay?" Jennifer whispers beside me.

"I'm fine. Just had to walk to school," I whisper back, but before I can finish, someone clears their throat.

"Late to class, interrupting my lesson, and now you're also talking?" Ms. Anderson's stern gaze meets mine. "You've earned yourself another detention."