Chapter 14

A/N
This chapter talks about r*pe.

I wake up with a throbbing headache, the memory of last night's heavy drinking hitting me hard. I head to the bathroom, hoping a shower might help clear my head a bit.

As I undress, I notice the marks left by his touch on my arms and back. It's almost enough to bring tears to my eyes, but I force myself to push through it.

Beneath the soothing flow of the shower, memories from last night begin to resurface. I can't recall much from last night, but his presence is etched into my memory—the way he touched me, the words he spoke, the pain he inflicted, and the sense of powerlessness that consumed me. I can't hold back the tears as I stand there, leaning against the tiled wall, trying to regulate my breathing which has become rapid and uneven.

I turn off the shower, hoping it will drown out the memories too, but they linger. Stepping out, I wrap a towel around myself and sit on the edge of the bathtub. I can't bring myself to move, to get dressed, or even to meet my mom's gaze as she enters the bathroom after knocking.

"Hey, I called for yo— what's wrong?" She asks, her voice laced with concern, crouching down in front of me. I want to speak, but the words seem trapped inside me, unable to find their way out.

"Oh, sweetie," she murmurs, enveloping me in a hug. I don't return the embrace; I can't find the strength to, but she holds onto me firmly. "What happened?" she whispers, releasing me slightly to search my eyes. I take a deep breath.

"Something... happened yesterday. But I'm not ready to talk about it," I confess softly, brushing away my tears.

"Alright, take your time. But if someone hurt you, you have to tell me, okay?" she insists, her tone becoming serious, and I wonder if she noticed the marks. I nod, realizing I might not tell her anytime soon. I need to handle this on my own, and besides, I'm too ashamed to even say it out loud.

She plants a quick kiss on my forehead before heading out again. I rise to my feet, and for some reason I feel a little stronger now. Today, I'm going to school, and I refuse to let him belittle me or bring me down. I'll show him my resilience, proving that I am far stronger than his despicable actions. When I'm ready to confront this, I'll ensure he gets fired – perhaps even arrested. However, I realize that without concrete evidence, seeking justice would be challenging.

I contemplate confiding in Hannah, considering she could help me access a rape kit at the nearest hospital. Yet, I hesitate, uncertain if I'm ready for her to know, especially considering the potential consequences if she decides to take matters into her own hands. The man's fate might be death—a thought that doesn't bother me much, but the prospect of her getting caught and arrested certainly does.

I decide to go to the hospital by myself. Dad's already left, so I have the car today. If I hurry, I might only miss the first, or possibly the second, class. And I can just use the excuse of sleeping in.

I dash downstairs and quickly gather some items from the kitchen to eat on the go. Diva rushes up to me, so I give her a quick pat before bidding goodbye to mom and bolting out the door.

After just a ten-minute drive, I arrive, feeling a surge of nervousness. How do I even broach this topic, and with whom? Should I speak to someone at the reception desk or seek out a doctor directly? I'm not prepared for this at all, but despite my mind screaming to flee, my body is already carrying me inside, scanning the area for someone to approach. I spot a woman at the front desk, and decide to talk to her.

"Hi, I'm sorry to bother you, but could I ask you something?" I question, nervously fidgeting with my nails. She looks up at me with a smile.

"Of course, dear. What's the question?" she responds, showing genuine interest.