Chapter 142 - Just the Two of Us

30 minutes later. 

Off to a fresh start to begin anew, as others may say. 

Yet the road ahead can still be a long one, enough to last for days, weeks, and even months before reaching there at its fullest, even more so if the traveler is unscratched. 

Outside the hotel, where the painting is peeled, a handful of broken windows on each floor, with some tattered posters and banners either plastered on the wall or hanging around on some poles, a flickering neon sign above the entrance with the name Royal High, and some littered trash around the doo and the sidewalk it gives the look of a place that has been long gone from the pages of history.  One where the wastes of war already smeared the glory of the place, and now there lies a shell of its former self. 

But despite this, it still manages to be a safe haven for those fortunate enough to reach it. Even though the stay may not be eternal, enough space is provided for the residents to ensure a full recovery. Of course, there's also the matter of whether or not said recovery can happen within a short or long time frame for those involved. 

But regardless, many who can leave with many healed wounds, either physical or mental, can show the window for a better tomorrow for those involved, but that is only the start, the rest is up to them. 

Rian stands guard outside the entrance, arms crossed, narrow eyes and such as he walks back and forth between the two sides as he awaits for both Julian and Rita to arrive. But in contrast to his usual expression when he's on his own, there's a noticeable small smile on his face, even when he tries his damnest to hide it from everyone. It's almost like he has found something valuable as a team leader for the team despite the setbacks, especially when getting a talk in the most desperate measures. 

Guess today's a fine day to get to know those two after a long while, but honestly... I think the other two deserve something better from me. Especially her, I don't know if she may ever forgive us or even herself. But it'll be worth trying if possible. 

Just as Rian is about to take another turn back, the door opens, showing both Julian and Rita walking side by side, with Julian wearing his UEF green vest and his specialized gun on the belt. The only difference is that he also wears a plaster arm cast with a sling on the affected arm, yet nonetheless, he still slightly smiles as he steps out of the door with Rita. 

"Ah, you're here now. That's good, I guess," Rian says as he frowns a bit, yet this gesture makes Rita chuckle over it. 

"C'mon, don't give us that face, I know you're glad that he's alive, dumbass!" Rita says while she smacks his arm for a bit. Rian grunts for a bit, but keeps his posture in check. 

"Alright, I get it, geez... Well, as you know, I'm gonna recon the area for a bit to check if there's any related danger that we can solve or even find Amira. The rest of you can stay vigilant for a while. Sounds good for you?" 

"It can work," Julian replies as he nods steadily. 

"Sounds like a good plan to me," Rita replies as well. 

"Good. Do what you two want, but perhaps not too much on your own, if you get what I mean." Rian then runs off the distance on the western side of the road, running as fast as he can while the sun shines from above. A certainly pretty sight, for sure, but the two are more focused on what Rian said to them, which makes Rian rapidly shake his head while Rita suppresses a chuckle. 

"He thought we're gonna do it right here?!" Julian says as he glances at Rita. 

"Nah, perhaps he's just testing us or something!" Rita replies as she covers her mouth, with her eyes wide enough to show the whites.