Chapter 1.2 - Robbed of their Pasts

Amira Dhorian

The end of the day brings with it a golden sky and the fragrance of damp mud. Weeping willows sway in the gentle breeze, and the stream beside them shimmers and glows.

Bumblebee Creek seems quiet after the invasion, its silence is punctuated by sounds of animals drinking from the stream.

In its depths, a squirrel goes up and down an old oak tree while picking up acorns. As it tries to climb again, a piece of the trunk cracks off, and the squirrel loses balance.

It desperately tries to climb back up, flailing as it falls down.

A gray hand emerges from the darkness, catching the squirrel right before it hits the ground.

The figure releases it and chuckles in a feminine voice. "Such interesting creatures. Indeed, this planet holds life like the expanding stars," she mutters to herself, stepping out from the shadows.

Her beauty is other-worldly, almost like an elf. Pointy ears droop out from a mop of green hair. It frames a noseless face.

The Humanoid girl touches the trunk of the tree, tilting her head from side to side. It's like she wants to examine every bit of beauty in it while she's on Earth.

She crouches, looking at the plants on the ground, seeing if any of them catch her interest.

A male voice resonates inside her head, 'Hey, Amira! Have you finished?'

'Yes, coming back now.'

She uses her wings made of energy to fly away to her brother, as fast as an eagle. She flies quietly, swift and clear-sighted. She eventually finds him, sitting atop a branch on a tall tree.

He shares her elf-like features and emerald-green hair. He wears decorated, metallic-brown armour, with the breastplate in particular made of various layers of squared metal sheets. A prominent part of the force he once served.

It covers from the neck down while leaving a narrow part near the groin, leaving both sides exposed. Amira lands next to him on the branch.

He tries to hide his snicker with a cough.

"So, took a good look at today's study?"

"Absolutely, Varris."

He chuckles in response. "I see. Probably some magnificent animals worth checking for here, after all."

"Yes, but what is interesting is that the beings here do not have as advanced a mindset as the creatures in the galaxy."

"Hmm... primitive life forms, I suppose. At least compared to other planets."

"Or maybe they are just beings that grow slowly. What do you think?"

He pats her shoulder. She swats his arm away and grins.

"You should learn more about them if you want the answer."

Whatever species they are, maybe they hold the best secrets a Human being could ever know.

And yet, one doesn't know if those secrets can apply socially as well. Learning more of humanity can be a task as worthy as carrying out an important deed in your life, but it can come with its own risks.

He puts an arm around her as she rests her head on his shoulder.

"Brother, I do not know if this is..."

"Something wrong?"

"I do not know how to put it, but it is... something I have been wondering about for some time."