Secrets Hidden in The Office

It's been a few days since that night with Koa... on the mountain. A few days since that night in the elevator with Sera... I scan the spacious table, nestled next to Nick, wearing a light blue blouse matching the shade of his eyes. Beside him sits Mr. Thurston, his father. My own mother occupies the seat next to him, and at the table's head, my father lifts his deep red wine glass, beginning, "I'm thrilled we're all gathered here tonight again..."

As he delves into updates on the resort project, my attention wavers as a soft hand brushes against my leg on the left side... It's Koa, sending shivers down my spine. Swiftly, I hit his hand away under the table, catching Nick's brief glance before he refocuses on my father without much thought.

"I appreciate Mr. Thurston's dedicated involvement, always on-site at the construction grounds, putting in more effort than anyone," my father acknowledges, "your investments have been pivotal in bringing us to where we are today. Without you, this project wouldn't exist."

Mr. Beaumont and his wife, seated across from me, also nod in appreciation. On the far right... Sera remains silent, not exchanging a word since her arrival. Marcus Makana, at the opposite end of the table, chimes in, "Indeed, the collaboration has been outstanding. Here's to another successful event tonight."

As everyone starts clinking their glasses together, I briefly lock eyes with Sera, seated on the completely opposite side of the table. Her presence makes me uneasy, and I find it difficult to focus on anything else, my thoughts keep repeating it like a broken record;

"I hope you figure it all out, Maya... and I hope one day you'll understand why I had to do that."

"You look beautiful today," Koa whispers in my ear, snagging a slice of cucumber from the table. "Stop it," I snap quietly, not wanting to draw any attention. "What?" he asks innocently, meeting my gaze with his soft brown eyes. "Not here, not tonight..." I say, adjusting my napkin, hoping my father doesn't notice. Koa reclines in his chair, exchanging an anxious glance with his own father before focusing on his plate.

I sense Marcus Makana's gaze on me, and my heart pounds. What does he want? Does he suspect Koa's still playing his little game? Am I just a pawn to him? The mere thought of him makes me nauseous. Every detail I learn about that man fuels my growing resentment. He probably doesn't realize Koa and I have been texting nonstop for days...

He probably doesn't know I'm fully aware he has beaten his son... What would happen if I'd just call him out, right here, right now? I shake the thought from my mind, Koa would never forgive me...

As everyone begins to enjoy their meal, my mother places a large chicken, freshly out the oven, on the table. Suddenly, Lisa Makana's voice breaks the chatter, addressing me, "Maya... Koa mentioned you write?"

As she speaks, Koa chokes on a piece of chicken, clearly surprised, trying to cough it up. It's true that I've been texting Koa some of my old work over the past few days. It was tricky to choose what to send because most of my best work involves either him or Sera... Nick leans back in his chair, his gaze shifting between Koa and me. "You still write? I thought you gave up on that years ago," he interjects.

"I mean she's amazing." Koa starts, leaning back in his chair and locking eyes with Nick, "Honestly, she should pursue it as a career. In my opinion, I've never seen someone so talented," Koa mentions casually, his hand covering his mouth as he chews. Despite his good intentions, I'm panicking internally. Didn't I mention my father's disapproval? I really need to be clearer next time. Shit, shit, shit!

"Yeah..." I respond nervously, attempting to downplay it. "I just do it as a hobby now." I try to diffuse the tension, glancing at my father's annoyed expression. I can feel everyone's eyes on me... but Sera's in particular.