The Hospital

I'm chasing Koa through the emergency department hallway, he's dodging nurses and patients like it's his full time job. It's chaotic, and I struggle to keep up with him.

"Slow down, you two!" a nurse yells from behind, but we ignore her completely.

Finally reaching the service desk, a clearly overworked nurse looks up at Koa, large circles under her eyes. "I'm looking for a friend, Nick Thurston," he says urgently.

The nurse types something into the massive, white box of a computer before her. "Yes, he's currently waiting for our brain surgeon to arrive. He's being prepared in room 107, but there are no visitors—"

Koa ignores her once more and starts dashing towards the room. "Sir! You can't go in there..." her voice seems to give up at the end of her sentence. She's too tired for this. I follow Koa closely, staying in the background to avoid causing any more commotion, aware of the doctors turning their heads toward us.

As we reached room 107, he rushed through the doors, with me close behind, both of us trying to catch our breath. What awaited us inside shattered my heart into countless pieces. Nick's right there, connected to various medical devices, seemingly sedated or unconscious. His mother, Mrs. Thurston, sat beside him, her makeup smudged, eyes red from crying, staring at the floor, clutching his hand.

The nurse, mid-examination, spun around with surprise. "Hey! What are you doing here? You can't be in this room!" Before I could react, Koa dropped to his knees beside Nick's bed, his hands gripping the mattress in frustration, fear etched across his face. His breaths were ragged, and I couldn't tell what he was about to say or if he even wanted to speak at all. The nurse reached for his arm, but he forcefully pushed her away.

Mrs. Thurston rose from her chair, inhaling deeply. "It's alright, they're family," she interjected before the nurse could respond. The nurse glanced at her with a hint of disapproval. "Ma'am, it's crucial for Nick to rest as much as possible before the surgery. It's best not to have too many people in here."

Mrs. Thurstion paused briefly, her gaze distant. Meanwhile, I stood rooted to the spot, glued to the wall, my eyes fixed on Nick's condition. A shiver ran down my spine as I observed the machines beeping around him. His skin was as pale as ever, and he appeared almost lifeless...

That's when Mrs. Thurston's soft hand grabs mine, guiding both Koa and me out of the room. We walk through the hallway in silence, nearing the waiting room. Just before we enter, Koa steps in front of Mrs. Thurston, his voice breaking with emotion.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Thurston," Koa begins, his arms held gently by her grip as she looks at him, shaking her head. But Koa persists, his words tumbling out with increasing stress and fear, tears welling in his eyes.

"It's all my fault. I should've done something sooner, Brought him in earlier. It's all my fault," he repeats, the weight of his words echoing like a broken record.

"Koa, don't be ridiculous!" Mrs. Thurston's motherly tone resonates loudly through the hallway. "You have nothing to do with this. It's Nick's own recklessness that caused this. Now, calm down. I'm sure everything will be fine. We have the best surgeon—the only surgeon who can perform this surgery... coming to treat him."

"Although I'm relieved... I have no idea how we'll be able to pay for all of it," she admits, her exhaustion evident, likely from a night shift being a newborn caretaker.

"Mrs. Thurston, don't even worry about it. You know my father will take care of that," Koa reassures her.

"No! Don't be crazy, it's too much," she dismisses immediately. But Koa persists, placing his hand on her shoulder. "He was our responsibility last night. We'll take care of that medical bill whether you like it or not. I'll convince him."