Temporal Sentinel

I turned to the source of the voice, finding a lively woman about our age. Her long black hair was tied in a ponytail, and she wore a graceful blue saree that complemented her slender figure. With confident strides, she approached us, carrying a lunchbox wrapped in a neat cloth.

"Ah, Devika, you're here!" Rajveer greeted her warmly with a smile.

"Of course," she replied, moving gracefully towards us. As she handed the lunchbox to Rajveer, she nodded in my direction as a greeting. "And who might you be?"

"Uh, yes, my name is Karan," I replied, feeling a sense of stammer in my tone.

She raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "Why the hesitation?"

"Oh, no hesitation at all. I assure you, my name is Karan," I hurriedly explained.

""Alright," she said, her gaze locking onto Rajveer, silently requesting an explanation.

Rajveer stepped forward with a smile. "Well, alright then. Allow me to introduce you two since neither of you seems inclined to do so properly." He gestured towards the woman. "This is Devika, my senior from our school days turned close friend, and also the culinary mastermind behind our meals at home."

"So, the friend who keeps you well-fed?" I inquired.

"Exactly," Devika affirmed with a grin.

Rajveer nodded, gesturing towards me. "And this is Karan, my friend from Siddhaganga."

I nodded in agreement. "See? I told you that's my name."

"I never doubted it for a second, you goof," Devika teased, her tone light-hearted yet sincere.

"Yeah, well, you were giving off that vibe, so how was I supposed to know?" I shrugged nonchalantly.

She shook her head, glancing at Rajveer. "Where did you dig up this goofball? I distinctly remember him not being part of your little friend circle last month."

"Well," Rajveer drawled, "he became my friend this year. I was in town trying to arrange a meeting with the local politician to solidify my position in the party, and I met him there—a genuinely kind soul."

"I have my doubts about the 'kind soul' part," she remarked, giving me a judgmental once-over.

"Excuse me," I interjected, "you have no right to make such accusations without concrete proof. If you wish, I could take this matter to court, and then we can..."

I paused, noticing the subtle change in Devika's expression as she looked at me with widened eyes.

"Court? Over something like this?" she asked quietly.

Before I could explain that any legal matter, no matter how trivial, could be brought to court, Rajveer jumped in. "He's just joking, Devika. You know how he is—he studied law in town, so he tends to speak in legal terms. He's not serious, though."

"Ah, I see," Devika nodded, her demeanor relaxing. "Well, I should be on my way. I have other lunch deliveries to make." With that, she turned on her heels and exited the house.

Rajveer turned to me, his expression serious. "Do you have a law degree or something? What's with the attitude?"

"Yes, I'm a prosecutor in the Supreme Court in my time," I replied proudly.

"Well, let me make this clear to you," Rajveer said sternly. "This is an era where people prefer not to take every little issue to court. I don't know how things are where you're from, but here, we solve problems within the family before considering legal action. So please, refrain from using legal language here."