Forgotten Ghost

Rajveer glanced around, a mixture of curiosity and apprehension on his face. "What's going on?" he asked in a hushed tone.

Taking a deep breath, I met his gaze. "Welcome to my timeline," I replied, trying to sound calm despite my nerves.

He swallowed hard. "So, I'm stuck here?"

I nodded solemnly. "Unfortunately, yes."

"Alright, so now what? You need to figure out how to send me back," he stated, a hint of urgency in his voice.

I sighed, feeling the weight of responsibility. "Yes, I do," I admitted, standing up and brushing off my clothes. "But first, let's head to my house. We can discuss our next steps there."

As we walked out of the forest and onto the quiet road, I led the way until we reached my home. Rajveer looked impressed as he took in the sight of the house. "This place is even grander than the mayor's," he remarked.

I shrugged modestly. "Well, my mom is..." I started, but he finished my sentence before I could.

"The finance minister," he replied, showing that he was well-informed.

I nodded, flashing him a mischievous grin. "If Mom interrogates me, I'll unleash my friend-from-another-city alibi. It's foolproof!"

He raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure about this? Lying to your mom?"

I shrugged dramatically, "Desperate times call for desperate measures, my friend. I'd rather face the wrath of God than my mom's fury."

He replied nervously, "Let's hope divine forgiveness comes easy for this little white lie."

I shook my head at Rajveer's goody-goody attitude before ringing the bell. Soon, my mom opened the door but her puzzled expression was the last thing I expected.

"What is it?" she asked, eyeing us both with curiosity.

"Mom, it's me," I said, trying to hide my growing confusion.

"Excuse me, just who are you calling mom?" She raised an eyebrow. "Because last time I checked, I didn't have a child, especially not one as old as you."

I blinked, taken aback. "What? Mom, it's Karan."

She shook her head firmly. "Good name, dear, but you've got the wrong person. If this is a prank, it's not very funny."

I reached out to stop her from closing the door. "Mom, I've only been away for a day. How can you not recognize me?"

Her expression turned stern. "Look, I don't have time for games. And I certainly don't have a son named Karan."

I felt a lump forming in my throat, confusion and frustration bubbling inside me. "Mom," I whispered, my eyes stinging with unshed tears.

She sighed, looking at Rajveer. "Hey, kid, can you handle this? Your friend seems to be a bit lost in a fantasy. I don't have a son, and I've got a busy schedule to keep."

He glanced at me, clearly concerned. "Hey, maybe we should just leave," he suggested tentatively.

I turned to him, incredulous. "Are you serious? My own mom doesn't recognize me, and you're saying we should leave? Where do I even go? This is my home!" I pleaded with him, desperation creeping into my voice. I turned back to my mom, hoping to jog her memory. "Mom, you must have amnesia or something. I was only gone for a day, and now you don't know me? We have pictures, videos, memories... Please, just look at them once."

She sighed, raising an eyebrow. "Alright, come in. Have some tea; it's already cold anyway. But after that, you need to leave," she said firmly, emphasizing the word "leave" as if to highlight the finality of her decision.