The Forest

As we rolled into Siddhaganga, the town came alive before our eyes—larger houses, bustling shops, and a crowd that seemed to buzz with energy. Rajveer, with sweat glistening under the sun, looked like he could use a break. I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt; perhaps I should have taken my turn at pedaling earlier.

"Hey, Rajveer, I can take over biking now," I offered, trying to lighten the mood.

He spoke wearily, "Now you want to, just as we're reaching? You're one sly lawyer, aren't you?"

I raised my hands in mock defense, "Hey, don't blame my profession for my jerkiness; that's all on me."

He chuckled, catching his breath, "Fair point. But I'm used to biking; it's no big deal for me. You, on the other hand, are like a delicate flower, nurtured so carefully. I wouldn't want you to break under the pressure."

I chuckled lightly, "Ah, so I'm the fragile one now? Thanks for the concern, but I think I can handle a bit of pedaling."

He said, "Thanks for the offer, but I think I can manage. Just stay put."

I relaxed, humming softly. "Hey, how do we even find the booth? It's not like it's going to magically pop up in front of us, right? So, where do we start?"

He thought for a moment. "Honestly, I have no idea. Where did you usually find the booth in your time? Any guesses where the forest might be now?"

Shrugging, I replied, "I don't know for sure. But I guess it's somewhere quiet and surrounded by trees, not a place that many people visit." I watched as he continued pedaling ahead.

Rajveer nodded in understanding, his eyes scanning the surroundings as we pedaled through the town. "Then I'd say we start behind the mayor's house," he suggested.

"Why there?" I inquired, curious about his choice of location.

"Well, behind his house, there's a vast expanse of land with dense trees and a thick canopy. Not many people venture there because, let's face it, the mayor doesn't exactly encourage public access. It's almost like his own private forest," Rajveer explained, his tone indicating a mixture of resignation and amusement.

"Wait, how can someone own an entire forest?" I asked, puzzled by the concept.

"It's all about power and politics, Karan," Rajveer replied with a shrug, as if stating the obvious.

I nodded slowly, absorbing this new piece of information. "Ah, right."

As the sun set, casting a warm glow over Siddhaganga, the evening breeze picked up, signaling the end of the workday for most folks.

He suggested, "Should we wait till tomorrow to search for the booth? It's getting late."

I shook my head decisively. "Nah, now's the perfect time. The mayor won't let us wander into the forest during the day, so sneaking in after dark is our best shot."

Stopping the cycle, Rajveer turned to me with a puzzled look. "You sure about this? It's risky, with the mayor and who knows what critters lurking in the dark."

I grinned. "Absolutely sure. But hey, if you'd rather not risk it, I can handle this solo," I teased, stepping off the bike and dusting myself off. "Adiós, gracias," I quipped, starting to walk ahead.

If my assumptions are right and Bollywood movies have taught me anything, Rajveer will definitely follow my lead and support my plan. Let's face it, there's no one else here better suited to play the daring and dramatic heroine than me. Being stuck out of my time is already a wild twist, so what could be worse than this? Let's just keep walking.