Chapter Ten

We had failed, simple as that. As much as Ben and I asked and pleaded and begged for Mrs. Jones to get me out of here, she wouldn't budge. We failed.

Then Ben left.

He was reluctant to leave me and I was reluctant to let him go, but orders were orders.

Something bout a mission in the Czech Republic... But that part didn't matter. What mattered, was the fact he had left. Leaving me all alone with the remainder of K-Unit.

I avoided them on all means possible. I didn't go back to the cabin until they were all asleep, and I got up a good hour or two before they woke, not that I did much sleeping anyway.

Stupid nightmares.

And as for the training side of it, well... I didn't do it. I didn't train with them, at all.

The Colonel forbade anyone from even thinking it. Said it was because it was too soon to be out in heavy work so shortly after I had escaped Scorpia only three weeks ago. So for the past four days since Ben left, I was left in Brecon Beacons, but without a unit.

I glanced up from the papers as the phone rang. I frowned and continued the Colonels paperwork. He really did need help, there was far too many stacked pages.

And speaking of the Colonel...I looked up again as he answered the phone.

"Who is this?" He wasn't legally allowed to answer with his name for his own protection. However, I felt at though his alternative choice was unprofessional.

He frowned and glanced over at me, before turning his attention back to the phone, "Yes... No... Then I politely refuse... Oh, being polite wasn't god enough for you? ... No? ... The FUCK. OFF... You'll have my job? Yea right. I know you've got power and all but you seriously can't expla-... Oh... I see... Yes, I'll tell him right away... Good day Mrs. Jones".

I stared at him as he slowly lowered the phone, all his anger suddenly gone and he glanced up at me, "... That was MI6".

"And?" I asked and he looked me straight in the eye,

"There's been an accident".

I tensed up, eyes widening. "What's happened?"

He sighed, giving me an oh-so familiar look. A look of regret. Of remorse. And of responsibility. He took a deep breath, "... It's Ben Daniels".

The rest faded out, and I only caught some words.

Words such as 'Mission in the Czech Republic' and 'Cover Blown' and more importantly, 'Has been severely Injured, shot multiple times'.

"I'm so sorry Cub" the Colonel finished quietly.

I slowly got to my feet, automatically putting on an emotionless mask as my mind took over, "Permission to leave the training camp, sir".

He flinched slightly at the deadness in my voice, "Cub, listen...".

"Permission to leave the training camp, SIR" I repeated, louder this time as a jolt of anger managed to flash through my eyes. I was stood as straight as possible, forcing emotion away of me. I couldn't accord to cry, not here. Not yet.

He sighed, "... MI6 is waiting outside with a car. They ordered me to tell you to get your bags, and to meet them at the gate in the next five minutes or they would use force... They'll just send you on another mission Cub".

I barely registered the words, the automatic part of my brain doing the speaking, "With all due respect sir, but I wish to leave. I thank you for having me here on such short notice sir, and I thank you for everything you did. Good day sir".