10 | stay

L A Y L A

The younger king of Black Wings enters the site. Everyone is on alert.

"Kellan," Luca's eyes widen as he watches Kellan walking toward him.

Kellan is blind, but he has excellent orientation of where he's heading, just by using his hearing and his other senses.

"I said..." Kellan clenches his jaw. "Say that again," he repeats in a menacing tone.

"Well," Luca begins nonchalantly, but I can hear the slight shake in his voice, a sign that he's intimidated but trying to hide it. "Since you practically announced that you wanted her gone, we were discussing how to get rid of her."

I can feel the air getting tense, like everyone is holding their breath. The silence that follows after is so gripping, you would even hear it if a pin dropped.

"We figured out that it would be better if we could make her our slave." As if he can sense that Kellan is about to counter that, Luca quickly adds, "I mean, she could be useful. You don't even have to feel her presence around. We will make sure that she won't bother you."

I never felt this low.

I feel so humiliated and degraded. Do they even see me as a person?

Kellan opens his mouth and what comes out surprises us all, "And what made you think that you shouldn't offer her to me first?" he asks in a cold voice.

Luca stares at him with a lost expression. "But you didn't want her anywhere near you."

Kellan steps forward again, his aura giving off unmistakable authority. "Well, apparently I wouldn't mind if she offered herself as my slave."

"Come on, man. You told her to get lost," a guy daringly shouts out loud, causing gasps and frantic whispers to fill the air.

Whoever just shouted doesn't value his life because their king can punish him in an instant. Luckily, he's hiding in the crowd.

Kellon scoffs, facing the crowd. "Right. I wasn't being completely fair to you. If you want her that much, we shall decide it in a fight. I'm your leader, and I'm now giving you equal opportunity."

The crowd goes even louder, wondering what that means.

"Whoever wins the fight will get her," Kellan says.

My heart almost stops. It will be better if they bury me alive. They don't even think of me as a human being. They're stomping my dignity and feelings like I'm a piece of trash.

Does this always happen every time they find an intruder inside Black Wings?

Everyone goes silent after that challenge from Kellan. No one moves. Luca doesn't move either even though I can see him balling his fist.

"Anyone?" Kellan asks.

Still, nobody dares fight him. Now, I see even more that everyone fears Kellan when it comes to one-on-one fights with him. The blind man is their martial arts trainer, and until now, I don't think that anyone here has ever beaten him.

"Well, it's clear now," Kellan says. He turns his back to us to walk away. "Follow me, Layla."

I freeze on the spot. I don't know what to do. I might have escaped a devil, but I might just be walking right to another one.

I'm supposed to take care of Kellan, but after what happened tonight, I don't think that I can trust him anymore.

"Now," he barks, making me jump in fear.