Dance

Pierce POV

"From the sound of things, you weren't supposed to be here this morning?" I chuckled as I caught up. He jumped slightly when I spoke but relaxed quickly after.

"That obvious, huh?" He sarcastically answered. It wasn't pointed like with Alex, though. It felt light-hearted.

"Just a bit, the hair was kind of a giveaway." I impulsively brought my hand up to tuck a stray strand behind his ear. Why the fuck did I do that..? My head really is in the clouds today. I quickly retreated my hand back and cleared my throat. I could see David smirk lightly at my clear awkwardness.

"Are you heading back home?" I ask after I clear my throat again, literally trying to clear up the lump in my throat. Why the fuck am I nervous?!

"Nope. I have dance at 8." He shrugged his shoulders and squeezed his eyes, seemingly trying to clear the sleepiness out of them.

"Ah."

"That explains it.." I mumble to myself. David must have heard though as his brow shot up.

"Explains what?"

Shit. Now that that I'm thinking about it.. 'that explains your lean but muscular physique' doesn't sound right. Not like I was checking him out or anything like that, more like a bro noticing another athlete when he sees them.

"Nothing... so you dance?"

Smooth Pierce... real smooth. What's the matter with me today?!

Shit. He is smirking at me. With a too amused expression.

"Yeah, I do. I'm in the dance program, actually." A slight smirk still remained on his face, but he faced back forward. 

"Oh shit! That's cool. I always wondered what it would be like to major in an arts course."

He turned to look at me with furrowed brows and a knowing look.

"Says the captain of the swim team. It's not much different from yours, I'm sure. Except I have dance theory classes instead of..." He explained while looking at me questioningly. I returned the same confused look until it clicked.

"Oh! I'm a political sciences major." I respond to him with a shrug.

"Ah, so we have a future mayor on the team?" He joked.

I scoffed. Not that it was a ridiculous thought and not that I hated anything with politics. I honestly wouldn't mind some kind of future in politics, but it's not a dream of mine or anything.

He looked at me with furrowed brows.

"Sorry, that was rude of me. I don't think that it's my calling. Swimming is really my passion, but you can't really major in it. My mom is really into politics, so I guess it just made sense." I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my sweats. It was still a tad chilly outside.

"Ahh, I see. So, the dream is the Olympics?"

The tone he used was surprising. Usually, when people assume that, it is more.. I don't know.. doubtful? Like it was some fairy tale that doesn't happen to "normal folk" like me. His tone was one of genuine curiosity. I could almost believe that he found it perfectly plausible. I let a small smile form on my face.

"Would you be surprised if it wasn't?" I chuckled.

"Well, yeah. I'm no expert in swimming, but it seems like all of the effort you guys put in and shit you put your bodies through would be for some end goal, right?" He shrugged his shoulders in response.

"Hm. May sound surprising, but I never thought of it that way. I didn't start swimming with the goal of the Olympics in mind. I just fell in love with it. Going pro is just the most clear-cut way of making a living out of it."