Chapter 10

As Alistair stepped out of the somber shadows of the church, the sight of Chloe waiting for him bathed in the soft afternoon sunlight was like a beacon of warmth piercing through the chill of his soul. Her eyes, bright with anticipation, met his, and without hesitation, she bounded toward him, her radiant smile illuminating the air between them.

With a rush of emotion, Alistair opened his arms, welcoming her embrace as if it were the first glimpse of light after a long night. Chloe's arms encircled him, her touch grounding him in the present moment, dispelling the lingering shadows of the past.

For a fleeting instant, he allowed himself to be lost in the warmth of her embrace, the soft cadence of her breath against his chest a soothing melody that calmed the storm raging within him. But beneath the surface, beneath the facade of joy and relief, an icy numbness lingered, a reminder of the darkness that still lurked in the corners of his mind.

As they held each other, time seemed to stand still, the world narrowing to the simple perfection of this moment—their hearts beating in tandem, their souls entwined in a silent symphony of love and longing.

Chloe's embrace felt like a lifeline, her arms wrapping around him with a warmth that momentarily eased the cold grip of his inner turmoil. Alistair welcomed the familiar scent of her perfume, the gentle press of her body against his, but even her comforting presence couldn't dispel the heaviness that weighed on his soul.

As they walked back to the car, Chloe's concern radiated from her, her eyes searching his face for answers, her hand reaching out to gently squeeze his arm in a silent gesture of support.

"What happened?" she asked, her voice soft yet insistent. "Did you get an answer out of him?"

Alistair hesitated, his mind swirling with a jumble of conflicting emotions. He wanted to shield Chloe from the ugliness of his past, to spare her the burden of his pain, but he knew he couldn't keep her in the dark forever.

Taking a deep breath, he met her gaze, the weight of his unspoken truth heavy in his eyes.

"Yeah," he finally replied, his voice carrying the weight of a thousand unspoken words. "I got what I needed, but... it's complicated."

Chloe's brow furrowed with concern, her lips parting as if to ask more questions, but she seemed to sense the weight of his silence, the unspoken pain that lingered beneath the surface.

For a moment, they walked in silence, the only sound the soft shuffle of their footsteps against the pavement. And though Alistair longed to confide in Chloe, to share the burden that threatened to consume him, he couldn't find the words to articulate the depths of his anguish.

Instead, he simply squeezed her hand, a silent reassurance that spoke volumes more than words ever could. And as they reached the car and climbed inside, he knew that, for now, that was enough.

The drive back to Alistair's apartment was shrouded in an uncomfortable silence, the weight of unspoken words hanging heavy in the air between them. Chloe glanced at Alistair, her brow furrowed with concern, but she remained respectfully quiet, sensing the depth of his turmoil.

Alistair's grip tightened on the steering wheel, his knuckles turning white with the force of his grip. His mind raced, swirling with a tempest of emotions—anger, disbelief, betrayal—each crashing against the shores of his consciousness like waves against a rocky shore.

The revelation that his own father, the man who had once been a distant figure in his life, wanted him dead was a bitter pill to swallow. It cast a shadow over every memory, every moment of their fractured relationship, forcing Alistair to confront the harsh reality of his past.