Chapter 5: The Truth

Whoever said you can leave your past behind was a damn liar. You can't leave it behind, it'll follow you everywhere you go.

It's a small world with even smaller people, so why did I even expect to not run into someone I used to know? I can go to the ends of the Earth and still find remnants of my past etched withing every place I visit or I plan to visit. This is where it gets me, right? Where I have to face my past whether I like it or not. How I can choose my future knowing my past, and how I can deal with my present. If they don't teach you this in high-school, you've learnt it from me.

The week went smoothly: our teams for sport this term were picked, we got our syllabus and content for the year, and we managed to go over some material. Jo, Lynn, Kendall and I all agreed to go out today, and after reassuring my mom that I'm just going with friends and not the "gay girl" who happens to be my girlfriend, she let me go. I'm not keen on letting my mother know what's going on in my life, but maybe one day she'll know.

My mom pulls up at the mall, stopping as she sees Lynn and Jo. "And you're certain for a fact that your gay friend isn't there?"

I sink in my seat and sigh. "Mom."

She lets go of the wheel and puts her hands up. "I just don't want you to associate with her. What if—"

"Kendall isn't coming, alright?" I lie. "Can I go now?"

"Five more minutes," she deadpans. "I want to see for myself."

I look away from her, hoping Kendall doesn't somehow appear. My mom has become more hostile for no reason, and I'm not sure why—

"I heard Nadia is in town."

Until now.

"Yeah, and what about it?" I close my eyes.

"You two could become good friends, I want you to hang around her instead of the New Age girl that you like hanging with," my mom says. "Nadia is on her way to greatness, while Kendall is...what does she want to do with her life?"

Having heard enough, I jump out of the car and slam the door on my mother, not looking back. She has no right to insult my girlfriend like this, I don't care what her beliefs are.

And she certainly doesn't think there would be a world where Nadia and I would be friends.

I walk over to Lynn and Jo, who embrace me. "Rough start?" Jo whispers.

We let go of each other and in sync, we wave goodbye to my mom, smiles plastered on our faces. "Always a rough start."

Jo sighs. "Kendall should be here any minute. Is there any chance you'll ever tell her?"

"I just want to protect her, Jo," I reply. "That's all I've ever wanted."

"Protect me from what?"

I gasp as I turn around to see Kendall with a pack of gummies, the wind blowing in her hair. She's sporting a denim jumpsuit, and barely has any makeup on, all except for blush and lip oil.

"From how much fun we're going to have," I say, smiling at her. "Come on, I haven't gone skating in a while."

****

Lynn and Jo made their way home earlier than I expected, but once Jo told me that they wanted me to have some alone time with Kendall, I realised why.

They want me to tell her about my mom.

Kendall and I snuck up to the highest building at the Plaza around 6:30; the place where we had our first real conversation last year. She walked over to the balcony, motioning for me to come with her. Once there, we looked down at the scenery, and I chuckled a bit as Kendall's hand intertwined with mine.

"Is it weird that I still find it hard that you're my girlfriend?" She says, breaking the silence.

"No, it's completely normal," I admit. "Sometimes I even forget that we're no longer pretending."

Kendall giggles, before turning to face me. "Yas, I know your mom hates me."

My eyes widen briefly before I clear my throat. "What?"

Kendall shrugs. "It's obvious."

"Kendall, I—"

"Listen, I get it, okay? She's not comfortable with you dating a girl, that's completely normal. Not every parent is supportive."

I stare at her, wondering if I should just be honest or not.

"It's not that she isn't comfortable with me dating a girl," I say, bracing for impact. "She...she doesn't know that I like girls."

Kendall stares at me blankly.

"In other words, I'm closeted," I whisper, linking both hands with her. "Look I know that this is not how you imagined dating me but...it's just difficult. My mom's a mess, she doesn't believe in a future where two women can love each other intimately, so it's hard for her to even think her daughter hangs around..."

"Hangs around? Does she...does she not know that all of your friends are basically—"

"No, but she likes Lynn and Jo," I admit. "She doesn't like you because...because—"

"Because she knows," Kendall finishes. "She knows that you like me. Matter of fact she knows that you love me and she hates that, doesn't she?"

My eyes well up with tears. "I don't know."

Kendall looks away from a moment, before looking back at me. "Listen, you're my girlfriend, okay? Her opinion doesn't matter to me. What matters is that you and I are happy; whether that happiness is clear to us alone or not. Okay?"

"So her not liking you isn't a problem?"

She says nothing for a minute, but then nods. "You're the one I want, Yas. I'm not letting people get in the way of that."

I smile at her, giving her a big hug. She hugs me back tightly, rubbing my back, and we turn away again, watching as it gets darker by the minute.