Chapter 6: Drop and Give Me 20

"Oh pick up the damn pace ladies!" Coach Wilkerson blows her whistle as she watches half of our grade run again. "Even my dog can run faster than you!"

"Your dog is a fucking canine, we're kids!" Sofia yells as she crosses the finish line, seconds before Kendall does.

Today is the tryout for the official track team for 2024, and every person has to go through the elimination process. Kendall, Sofia, Jo, Lynn and I made it past the first round, as did Nadia, and as the second round goes by, we're all just waiting for confirmation of the people who made it past.

I watch Kendall and Sofia laugh together as they catch their breath, stretching uneasily. Running has always been my favorite past time, and now, I'll make sure that I make the team, just like my mom wants me to.

I thought long and hard about Kendall and I last weekend. She says that she's fine with my mom not liking her, but something feels...off about it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but she feels off.

"Rather nervous now, are we?" Nadia huffs as she puts her bags down next to mine, stretching.

I continue to stretch, ignoring her.

"We're up next, you know?" She goes on. "I can't wait to cross that finish line first."

"I aspire to have your type of confidence." I scoff at her, turning to face her. She stops stretching, and winks at me, then looks at Kendall and Sofia.

"You're better than me," she says. "I would've lost my mind knowing that my girlfriend is talking to the girl who screwed her over last year."

"How would you know that?"

"Word goes around quick, Thando." She shrugs. "I really hope this fling does last, I know how difficult it is to be with someone you can't be public about."

"We are public," I state.

"Within these school walls you are. But outside, no one will accept you and Kendall, especially your mom," Nadia claims. "I'm just warning you to leave while your mom suspects nothing."

"I didn't ask for your kindness."

"You still got it though," Nadia says. "I did you a damn favour in Sydney."

"Oh really? What did you do for me, Nadia? You told people I was fucking on someone else's girlfriend, you told my mother how I fucking kissed a girl, and you made me leave the school, what favour did you do me?"

Nadia steps closer to me. "It built your damn confidence for sure, because now you think you're some untouchable icon."

"I am an icon, bitch, and you're going to watch how I became one."

"By what? Going around and faking a damn relationship to get some fucking clout—"

My hand swipes across her face so quick and loud that the whole field goes quiet. Nadia holds her cheek and then quickly puts down her hand as the coach looks at us.

"Khumalo! Thompson! What was that?"

"Nothing, coach!" Nadia looks at her. "Everything is fine."

"Thompson?"

I nod. "Everything is peachy."

Coach looks at us carefully before blowing her whistle again. "On the field in 5. You two are up next."

Nadia glares at me. "I hope you got better at running, because you sure haven't got any better at fighting."

"Get on the track, Khume." I spit at her, walking away. Kendall comes running my direction, touching and holding my cheek.