4. Swearing at Starbucks Gets You Glares

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW / PROMOTE!

XOXO,
LOSALINI

•••||||•••

I froze as my phone rang in my bag.

The beginning of 'Call Me Baby' (by Exo) was loud enough to draw curious stares my direction.

Fumbling through the many things inside, I grabbed my phone.

The tension that had run through me when the phone rang dissipated as soon as I saw the caller ID.

"Krystal, honey, did you get it?" Nancy's voice screeches in my ear as soon as I press accept on my phone. "Did you get it? Of course you got it. Who am I kidding?"

I groaned at the thought that my dream job had just been snatched away. "I didn't get it, Nancy," I fumbled to throw the words out there. The pain didn't lessen.

"What do you mean? What happened?"

"They canceled my interview."

"They what? Why? Where are you now?"

I chose to answer the simplest question of the three. "They canceled the interview."

"Okay, okay. Now where are you?" She sounded concerned.

"New York." Tears threatened to roll down.

"Did they inform you of the cancelation?"

"No," I answered.

"Wait til I call them and tell them what I think about this damn cancelation," She now sounded furious. "Blasted idiots! Making my girl fly halfway across the country and not informing her! No good, asswipes who need a good telling off."

"Nancy! It's okay. It's fine! I'll just...look for something else to do for the summer."

"No! I have two minds to fly down there right now and meet with their CEO!"

"Nancy, its okay! Really."

She sighed. "No, its not!"

"This things happen Nancy. Next time, I need to do this on my own. Let me start now."

"Fine. Get on the next flight out of there."

I sighed. "My flight back is booked for tomorrow evening. Don't you think it would be stupid to waste money like this."

"I don't want you to be alone." Concern returned in her voice. "Especially now."

"It's fine. I'll go sightseeing. It's been years since I've been to the Big Apple. Might as well enjoy it now."

"Okay, okay. Fine. Listen, I'll call you later. I need to get Muggles back from the vet. They finally finished his deworming treatment."

"Okay. Get him his favorite bone please from the pet shop. Please." I asked, knowing my little puppy would want one.

As soon as I hung up, my phone rang again.

Damn, how popular can a girl get.

This time the screen displayed an unregistered number.

I answered it cautiously. "Hello?"

"Finally!" The voice from the other end exclaimed. "What's a guy gotta do to get an answer from you?"

I was confused, not recognizing the voice. "I'm sorry. Who is this?"

"The guy that's been calling you for the past five minutes." He sounded frustrated.

"I'm sorry. I think you've got the wrong number, sir."

"No, I don't."

"Sir, I'm gonna hang up now." I hung up just as promised even when I heard his complaints.

Ten seconds after I hung up, my phone rang again.

An unregistered number.

Knowing it was the same guy, I ignored it and walked to the Starbucks across the street.

As I waited for my Caramel Macchiato, my phone rang again.

This guy is sure demanding.

I grabbed my coffee when they called out my number and sat at the window table.

My phone rang again.

Sighing in frustration, I decided to answer it and tell him that he was clearly mistaken.

"Listen up!" I began. "You've got the wron-"

"Is this Krystal Sanders?" The same guy asked.

"Uhm, yes." I was shocked he knew my name.

"Then I don't have the wrong number." He sounded arrogant.

"Fine. Who is this then?"

"Oh, I'm hurt, sweetheart. How could you forget this sexy voice of mine?"

I scoffed. "Tell me who you are and what you want, or I'm hanging up and blocking your number?"

I was already feeling down and here was another idiot that wanted to play with me.

"Fine. How'd you like my little present?" He asked. I could tell he had on a smug smiled from his tone.

"What present?" I asked, confused. Did I get a present from a cocky lunatic today?

"How was the interview?"

The...interview?

Even without knowing it, I went through my bag and grabbed the piece of paper the lady from before had given me.

"You asshole!" I screeched into the phone earning a glare from the old couple sitting at the table across from me.

A loud laughter erupted from the other end of the phone. "Hello sweetheart. Payback's a bitch, now ain't it?"