Chapter 4: The First Day of School

Dedicated to TheSahazinator for being quite an oracle and a great supporter! :)

Chapter 4

“Welcome to our very last first day of school, bestie,” Emma said while we were getting out of her car.

There it was in all its glory. Jefferson High School, the familiar red brick building which we will have the pleasure to visit on an almost daily basis for one more year.

A lot of students lingered on the freshly cut lawn, greeting their friends, eyeing the arrival of everyone else. The obligatory slightly scared freshman made his way as fast as possible to the entrance.

Ah, the first day of school. It’s always like a meat market.

I elbowed Em and pointed my chin towards the corner where some of the jocks were doing their male fist-bumping thing. My cue. I started lip-synching in a deep voice: “Hey, we are seniors now. We rule the school, dude! We rule the school.”

I just love this little ritual of ours. Lip-synching fellow students. One of my favorites.

Emma played along right away: “Dude, seniors. That is like, so, awesome! Now every chick wants to be with us. We are the top of the food chain. We are the Alphas!”

“What are you talking about, dude?” I continued. “You’re such a moron. We are no Alphas. Look at your letter jacket. We are the Lions! The Lions, dude, the Lions!”

Emma snorted with laughter and I could not hold it any longer, either.

We can always easily amuse ourselves. It’s a rare gift, I dare say.

After we calmed down – which took a while – Em stopped and turned around to face me.

“Okay, so let’s talk about Lizzy once more. Since it’s the first day,  we won’t do the rotating thing at lunch right away, but catch up with the rest of our friends, right?”

“Right. I promised,” I reassured her. Wow, she really does not look forward to this particular task.

“So we focus on finding out everything about the new guy and then we’ll do the cheerleader try-outs after school. Right?”

“Yeah, that’s it for today, Em. That’s plenty.”

“Okay then. Let’s do this!”

****

Lunch time came around quicker than I thought.

So far, it had been a pretty typical first day. Getting a new locker, a new schedule, the welcome back-speech of Principal Finnegan, meeting our friends, going to classes – you know the drill.

Much to Emma’s disappointment, we haven’t come across a new guy yet.

But when she is on a mission, she is on a mission.

We put our lunch trays down at our regular table where the rest of our friends were already waiting for us. I sat down right next to Dinah.  Emma took the seat facing me, right next to Brian.

“Hey guys,” we both greeted them at the same time. Jinx, anyone?

Brian grinned. “Hi Sarah, hi Em.”

“Hey back,” Dinah mumbled, chewing on her pasta.

“Howdy,” Aaron replied cheerily.

I raised my eyebrow.