Chapter 7: Talking to Aaron, Brian and Dinah

<-------------- Please click here if you get the Dirty Dancing reference!

Chapter 7

I couldn’t stop grinning. Lunch had been such a success. So far, so good.

“They are gone,” Emma told me with a worried voice. I looked over at our regular table. Indeed, our friends were no longer sitting there. I frowned. I hoped they weren’t mad at us. How could we explain ourselves now?

“Don’t worry, I bet they are outside somewhere,” I tried to comfort her. Well, since they were no longer in the cafeteria, they had to be outside somewhere, right? Only question: Would we be able to find them before the end of our lunch break?

We made our way to the trash cans, then we got rid of our trays. As soon as we had walked outside the cafeteria, we saw Aaron, Brian and Dinah waiting for us. What a relief.

“Well, well, well, look who decided to grace us lower class folks with their presence,” Aaron said to Brian and Dinah in his most hostile tone, his arms crossed in front of his chest, ignoring us completely.

“Oh, shush,” Dinah told him, smacking his arm. Go, Dinah! She is such a good friend.

“Hey, have you two heard the latest?” She now addressed Em and I.

“Rachel is pregnant?” Emma guessed.

“No, she’s not. That’s not it.” Dinah now looked at me. Uh oh. I knew that look. “You wanna guess, Sarah?”

I shook my head, trying to avoid her eyes.

“Our friends, our dearest so-called friends for the last five years or so, ditched us at lunch – for the cheerleaders!”

I gulped. She was mad. And by the looks of it, Brian and Aaron weren’t too happy about it, either.

“Is there anything you wanna tell us?”

I shifted my weight from my right foot to my left.

“Um…” – “Well…” both Em and I started to say something. And stopped immediately, hoping the other one would continue. That was no fun.

Silence.

“You know, I’m really disappointed in both of you,” Brian now spoke up. He looked upset. I glanced at Emma who was biting her lower lip, also shifting uncomfortably. “Just because you made the squad now, it doesn’t mean that –“

“I told you!” Aaron interrupted him angrily, throwing his hands in the air. “I told you that they were crossing over to the dark side. Just one day and what happened? They ignored us! Enjoyed their lunch in happy jock-land! Next thing you know, their hair is dyed blond and they are discussing the pros and cons of cherry lip gloss versus cherry chap stick!”

“Hey now,” I suddenly found my voice again. “That’s not fair. First of all, we didn’t make the squad, okay? And second –”

“Oh. You didn’t?” Aaron was baffled. “But why were you all buddy-buddy with them just now?”

“It was… kind of an experiment,” Emma now came to my help.

“Experiment?” Brian absentmindedly scratched his arm. He tends to do that when he is trying to figure out a problem.

“Yeah. Kind of,” I tried to reassure our friends. “It’s just that Em and I thought that we should try something new this year. It being our last high school year and stuff.”