Chapter 28: ***Show Disruptive Behavior in Class***

This chapter is dedicated to thewinkyinvasion! Check out her teen fiction / humor story "The Summer I'd Never Forget" - it's about a group of friends on a month-long school trip to NYC. Add secrets, crushes and old friends. Go check it out now!
Also, she made the wonderful trailer on the right. Drop her a note, if you like it. :)

____________________

Yo, vote up? I just voted to let y’all know that contrary to popular belief there are no subliminal messages to be found neither in my story or my author’s notes. Really. I’m telling the truth! Vote, you don’t believe me? Votever. *votes her heart out* :’(

Chapter 28

“So,” my brother said, dragging out that little word longer than necessary, making sure that he got everyone’s attention. Uh oh. Combined with his I’m-up-to-no-good aura and the wicked grin he desperately tried to suppress, this could only mean one thing. “Mom, Dad. Guess what everybody was talking about in school today.”

Full display of wicked grin, directed at me.

That little…! I really had hoped that he wouldn’t hear about the whole football game kissing aftermath. I mean, other than with the singing in the cafeteria we girls did, there was no video footage. That I knew of, at least.  And Emma had me pretty much convinced that Brad being a freshman wouldn’t really have access to the intel. Once more, I have underestimated the efficiency of our high school’s rumor mill.

Clearly, I also have underestimated the growing self-restraint on my brother’s part. Usually, whenever he has something he could use against me, he comes out with it right away. That’s exactly what he had done with our cafeteria performance. Waiting till dinner was an unexpected move, leaving me in false hope I was in the safety zone already. No way for me to avoid or delay the confrontation. Sneaky!

“Don’t know, son. Are you getting a new principal, maybe?” Our dad guessed while cutting his grilled chicken breast.

“Nope. What do you think, mom?”

Brad ignored my glaring at him across our dinner table. Damn. He was building immunity! That wasn’t good. I guess he really is growing up. Gone are the days of innocent youth. Why did it have to happen so fast? I thought I had more time. I could clearly remember the good old days, back when he was in first grade and smack in the middle of his big-sister-worshipping phase, hanging on my lips. I had convinced him that ‘Brad’ was short for his real first name ‘Bastard’. Oh, how proud I was when I heard that he introduced himself to his teacher as ‘Bastard Adams, but everyone calls me Brad’. He was so gullible back then, and hadn’t yet grasped the concept of proper spelling.

Hey, bastard was close enough to Brad letter-wise. Genius, I know.

No TV for one week had so been worth it!

“You’re getting a new teacher?” Our mother said.

My little brother chuckled. “No, wrong again. Everybody was talking about Sarah.”

Parental units stopped their chewing process and zoned in on daughter unit.

“Or should I say: about her kissing the quarterback while his girlfriend,” dramatic pause to let that little tidbit really sink in, “was standing right next to them.”

Brad was never going to get his air horn back! Never! I’d see to that.

I glanced at my parents. Their facial expressions were similar emotional cocktails of confusion, shock, surprise and disgust. The latter only to be seen on my father’s face and most likely related to the overcooked broccoli sitting on his taste buds, though. He hates broccoli, but he has this deal with mom that whenever she cooks or bakes something, he’ll eat everything without complaining or he has to do the cooking.

“The quarterback?” My mother repeated, obviously torn between feeling happy about hearing her daughter having a public hook-up with an athlete, and feeling disappointed because said athlete was off the market already. She has a weak spot for athletes and has been waiting for years for me to bring home an athletic boyfriend.