Confrontation

Important - please read author note at the end...

 Chapter Ten

            Damn. Damn it all to hell and back. Damn Jasper Whitlock and his damn questions. Damn him for eternity.

            I couldn't respond right away. Right now, it was as if Jasper Cullen was a feline. Cat got your tongue, Bella? His eyes seem to shout at me and I couldn't help but flinch. I doubt the humans were noticing. This was such a short time for them.

            Honesty, mom? Noah's voice rang through my mind, once again pulling me back to reality. I nodded once; they would find out eventually. Why not now and get it over with?

            "Volterra... we are from Volterra, Italy," Evie answered. Jasper's eyes widened a little bit but then narrowed on me. They were searching and I knew exactly what he was looking for. The bite marks, the blood red eyes, the incredibly pale skin, the slight sparkle... because of Evie's charms and me being away from the window, all of it was invisible to his eyes, as well as everyone else's.

            "How long have you lived there?" he pressed. Before any of us could answer, Miss Kott shushed him.

            "One question at a time, Mr. Cullen. You'll have more than enough time to talk to them but for now, let's have everyone get a chance."

            I could tell that being patronized by a human annoyed him but he listened, especially after Emmett pulled on his arm. He sat back down but, like his burly brother, his eyes never left mine. To distract me from his constant gaze, I focused on the rest of the students.

            The final bell was a savior. I slung my bag back onto my shoulders and helped my children take the stools back to where they were, despite the teacher's protests. I ignored the Cullens and hurried back to the front with Evie and Noah flanking my sides. I could hear their quiet protests but that didn't stop me from moving.

            "We need to go," Noah whispered to Evie and she nodded. She curled her hand around mine and tugged me through the door.

            "Don't you dare start anything, Noah Jacob; not in front of the humans," Evie hissed. Noah growled lowly as we left the class. We were the first ones out and were 'speed walking' down the hall to our next class.

            "Why not? I should tear the both of them limb from limb," he snapped in response. I nudged his shoulder and gave him a look. He knew exactly what I meant; they could hear us as well as we could hear them. He nodded once and lowered his volume. "Did you see their expressions? The bigger one looked like he actually wanted to be forgiven!"

            We were silent for a few seconds as we walked through the crowds, trying to make our way through. The school population, though still small, was a great deal bigger than what it had been when I was here the first time.

            "Mama," Evie whispered when we were away from the humans. "Does that mean, if two of them are here, so will the others?"

            I hadn't thought about that. It was bad enough seeing just those two but having to face the other three would be overkill. I'd either reopen the wound I had worked so hard to seal or I'd murder more vampires then I was sent for.

            Even though Aro wasn't fond of them anymore, he still treasured their gifts. If I killed Alice or... him, that would put me in a very bad predicament. Not that I would probably have the guts to kill them, mind you; even if they broke everything I was, they were still my family. As a human, I was obsessed with them.  I have no problem with admitting it now because I know how ridiculous it was. I probably should have been in counseling because of them.