Fight Already, will you?

He never saw the punch coming.

Sure, I had the element of surprise on him. He was too damn distracted by the way the wind felt on skin, how the dirt felt warm against the bare soles of his feet, how the small bit of sun turned him into a walking diamond. I could practically hear the fascination in his breath as I snuck up behind him.

Tapping him on his shoulder didn't even give me away. He had completely forgotten about me in the mists of his musings. I heard the startled little hmph; saw him jump like a frightened human in a haunted house. He was just too out it.

Poor David.

You could hear the crack in his jaw; not the bones of course, but the crystalline structure that now took over his muscles. It would heal but he would feel it for a while, since I hadn't even tried to be gentle. The punch sent him flying back and straight into an old oak tree. Unfortunately for the tree, it was no more. Fortunately for David, he just had to shake it off.

"What the hell was that for?"

I held up a finger. "Lesson one: always be aware of your surroundings," I said, smirking and then crossing my arms across my chest. "You, my dear, were turned at the worst time possible. Any time else, I would ease you into this whole 'undead life' business but I don't have the time to hold your hand, nor do you have time to use hypothetical training wheels.

"I told you why I was here, David. There are other vampires who aren't following the rules. They're killing innocent people. My job is to kill them. You know, take you out of the equation. Having newborn makes that harder for me, honeybun. You're going to be a liability to me, even more so since I actually care about you."

I started to circle around him as he watched me through narrowed, confused eyes. I could see a little bit of hurt there but I refused to let it affect me. Told myself it was for the greater good, I did. His greater good and mine.

"So you punched me."

Shrugging, I came to a stop in front of him and held my hand out. "I surprised you."

"Surprise isn't the word I'd–"

His sentence was cut short once he grasped my hand. Instead of helping him up, I tossed him across the woods. His scream was almost comical as he flew through several other trees and finally into a boulder.

"Lesson numero dos, mi amigo," I shouted with a playful smile as I heard his groan among the crashing of the trees. "Be prepared for anything! You never know what's going to try and blind side you!'

David brushed himself off and got to his feet but before he could lift his head, I was right in front of him, face inches away from his own. He glared at me and I could see the slight disorientation in those crimson irises.

"This is funny to you?" He asked. I shrugged, hesitated, then nodded.

"I used to train newborns when I was in my fifties," I answered. "It was the high light of my day. But you're a bit different from them, David. They were out of control. You are the opposite; kind of an issue when I need you to get mad."

Curiosity crossed his mind, his eyebrows scrunching together. "Why do I–"

Pop. Punch two, right to the nose.

I gripped the front of David's shirt and pulled him away from the boulder, basically throwing him to the ground in front of me. He landed with a loud thump but this time he had his eyes open and he was glaring right at me.