Chapter 4: Living Horrors

A/N: Alright, so, yes, it's short, I'm working on the next chapter though. I just wanted to get something out for y'all. I was insane, and took on a classload far beyond humanly possible, so I have very little time to myself, hence the slower updates. Lo ciento. :(

This is an eerier chapter than previous chapters, but keep in mind: 1) Draco has had a dark past, and so has creepier things to pull a nightmare from and 2) it is a night terror. It's meant to be horrifying. So, I am warning you now: there is a nightmare of graphic nature. Do not read if you visualize things, and have nightmares based on what you read. :P

Dedicated to Mandoonio, for her comments on almost every single chapter, of both Achieving Light and Escaping Darkness. :) Love ya! And to Zwerple...satisfied? :) I'll try to get another one out for you. 

~~~

Problem: how does one go about calling the Siren of Death?

Solution?

He had no idea.

Draco was flopped on his bed in the boys’ dormitories. Every so often, a gentle (or not so gentle) snore would erupt from one the beds hidden by darkness. He sighed softly, staring at the darkness, knowing the ceiling was up there somewhere. With a rustle of bed sheets, he rolled over, sinking further into the mattress.

After having solved the mystery behind the key to Death, he and the others had spent the rest of the afternoon searching for any other helpful advice from the books in James Potter’s vault. But there hadn’t been much, just a bunch of misleading or vague hints at deeper secrets, secrets they needed Harry to help unlock.

Sure, it had been interesting, and a bit fruitful, as they now knew how to get to Death. Well, sort of. Again, Draco sighed. Learning about a rare creature, and learning as much history as they did was a nice change from the boring History of Magic class that he was still required to take, but it didn’t bring them any closer than they already were.

All they needed was Sirena’s help now. But neither Hermione nor the others had any idea how to call her, and he was stumped as well.

Does one simply call her name, and hope she hears them? Or is there some sort of incantation? Maybe one needs to be an Inima…they hadn’t had time to call her yet, as there was no use in opening the gate to Death if he wasn’t ready to go yet. He didn’t want to get there, and not be able to bring Harry back because he hadn’t had enough information, and once down in the Land of the Dead, he couldn’t exactly ask Hermione for help.

Staying up all night wouldn’t help.

But he couldn’t sleep. A part of him couldn’t, because Harry was still dead, and that grief was overwhelming, especially when he was left to his own thoughts. A small whimper escaped his lips, and though Draco felt ashamed at his weakness, he knew that he would rather miss Harry, than be completely emotionless. That was when he would be at his lowest.

And there was the part of him that couldn’t wait to sleep, because then he could see Harry, and hear his voice. But after the dream came the nightmare. Or maybe before. Whichever order, it was a love-hate relationship he felt towards sleep. Both ways resulted in him jerking awake, breathing heavily and crying out for Harry, knowing he was gone. Hence the Silencing Charm he knew the other boys had thrown up. Blaise left his down, however, wanting to be there for Draco when he could, and for that, Draco was immensely grateful.

Slowly, his thoughts dulled, and his eyelids drooped, and he slipped into a quiet slumber.

~ + ~

Draco…

He looked around, hearing Harry’s voice. Draco’s eyes lit up, as he beheld the dimly lit figure, growing brighter as he approached.

I miss you, Draco…