Chapter 15: Tragedy Strikes

Two figures stood outside of an ordinary-looking house. People passing would glance over only to see what appeared to be two boys looking for a particular address. And so it was…

Only they knew exactly where the desired address was. The dilemma was garnering enough mental strength to bring themselves to go to the door.

“You ready for this?” Draco asked in a low murmuring, his voice comforting and calm. Harry was standing beside him, and was visibly trembling. “Hey.” Draco put a hand on his Inima’s shoulder. “Don’t show your fear; it will give him the advantage over you. And don’t worry…you have magic on your side this time…you can do wandless and nonverbal magic, and you have your Animagus form and your creature inheritance. You’ll be fine.”

“But-” A finger on his lips stopped Harry’s words. Draco leaned forward, ‘til his mouth was near Harry’s ear.

“Trust me.” The whispered words sent a shiver down Harry’s spine, and he felt reassured. Draco wouldn’t let anything happen to him…they protected each other. Everything was going to be okay. Taking a deep breath, Harry strode forward, flanked closely by Draco. With a gulp, he knocked on the wooden door, hearing the ominous echo within.

Silence.

Then…

Footsteps.

Footsteps in the corridor.

Footsteps behind the door.

Harry shuddered. A brief memory flickered through his mind.

He was a tiny boy, not far past five years of age, and extremely underweight and undersized. His uncle loomed over him…pain…darkness…he retreated far into himself, where no one could reach him, no one could hurt him or touch him…

The door creaked open, and Harry blinked at the sight of his aunt standing there. For a moment, they stared at each other, Petunia’s mouth forming a perfect ‘o’. Fear, some other emotion, then defiance flashed through her gaze, and her mouth became a thin, white line. “It’s you,” she said harshly. “What are you doing here?” Her eyes moved to Draco, then back to Harry.

“May we come in?” asked Draco quietly. The woman again glanced at him. His presence was commanding, demanding that she comply, lest he become angry. With a short incline of her chin, Petunia stepped back, allowing the two boys to enter. Harry managed to quell the trembling and the queasiness in his stomach.

“What are you doing here?” she repeated. Harry and Draco stepped into the house.

“Is your husband here?”

Petunia eyed Draco. “Yes. Stop avoiding my question.”

“We’ll answer it soon.”

Petunia scowled, but led them down the hall. As he walked beside Draco, Harry felt the fear and bile rising up in his throat. He felt like he was going to be sick.

Harry…relax. I’m here. He will never hurt you again.

Draco’s calming presence soothed Harry, and he found himself slowly numbing to the pain. He shoved the feelings deep within his mind, forcing himself to remain calm.

Draco could still sense the emotion running throughout Harry, but his Inima seemed to be coping, as he had all those years. Just existing…coping…surviving.

Anger welled up in him. The muggle would pay, if he showed no remorse.

The sound of the television drew his attention, as they entered the kitchen area. A large man sat in front of the television, and he turned around as Petunia led the boys in.