An Old Face

Chapter 18

I descended the marble stair cases to the applause of the waiting crowd. The ceiling was strung with delicate strands of fairy lights and crystal chandeliers, throwing beams of light against the embroidered gemstones on the gowns of the people below me. I smiled slightly, finishing my descent, trying to balance the tiara on my head. The tiaras grew larger with every occasion. By the time of my coronation, I was sure Josephine would have a crown fit with a functioning waterfall to represent our beautiful nation.

I stepped down the last step, Fitzgerald playing the perfect gentlemen and offering me his hand. I nodded at him, and let him lead me to the head of the ballroom, where Henry sat with Josephine and another cousin, Liam Orian and his son, William. The royal table was set on a low platform, gazing over the ball room. Henry was placed in the center, with me on his right and Fitz, a royal guest, at a 'place of honor' beside me.

Fitz helped me into my chair as the royal orchestra struck up a waltz. As the dance floor in front of me transformed into a swirling sea of fluffy tulle gowns of every color, I spotted Willow flitting around between groups of people. She was a little bird, her smile and chirping laughter infectious. She moved so casually, no one would ever suspect how much she actually picked up on. Tessa sat properly at a table, waving a fan demurely in front of her face, with her Mother and a suitor I'd never met before. Marie was no where to be seen and I had a sneaking suspicion she was off yelling at a servant somewhere about the organization of Elizabeth's descent into the ballroom. Lily's bright red hair was sharply visible against the teal dress she wore, which was cut much like mine. She danced with the son of Count Jordan.

"The neck of that dress makes you look like a forty year old spinster.," Fitzgerald said, sitting down beside me. I rolled my eyes.

"Keep your eyes up." I scolded. He rolled his eyes, sitting back into his chair casually. "When does the debutante arrive?"

"No idea, Princess," He laughed. "It is your party." After a moments silence, he shot forward, leaning against the arm of his chair on his elbow. He leaned in close to me, a suddenly serious look on his face. I held back a laugh at how comical it looked, him springing forward like jack-in-the-box. "So, have you spoken to Elijah." I leaned away from him. 

"No," I rolled my eyes, "He told me I was stupid and fanciful, and far too hard-headed to be a decent ruler." Fitz raised his eyebrows and cocked his head to the side.

"And you told him he was arrogant and entitled, and had no right to tell his future queen where to step, so he definitely couldn't tell her how to run a country." I sat back in my chair, huffing slightly.

"Well, he made me angry." I snapped.

"You should have never tried to write that letter," I hated his tone. He sounded so snobby. I shook my head, throwing back in my chair in a huff. "You need to apologize to him."

"No!" I snapped, my voice higher than it should have been. "He needs to apologize to me."

"Stop being a child," He snapped. "Elijah is the closest thing you have to a friend in this place. And if you keep pushing him away like that, you're going to be alone in this court of monsters."

"You'll be here." I snapped.

"I've got to go home and sweep Thalia off her feet at some point." I laughed at his comment, but my stomach sunk. Fitz was the only person who could possibly understand how terrible this all was, and he was going to go back to Thanir at some point.