Rain, and a glimpse from the forest's edge

After having crossed the river, I sit in the grass. Slowly, the tension in my muscles recedes.

A crow lands on a crumbling stone wall, only a few steps away from me. It stares at me sideways, its head tilted as if wondering what I was, without wanting to admit its utter ignorance.

My spear is gone, but I could use the bow hanging over my shoulders, I could nock an arrow ... But before I can even move my hands to put this thought into action, the bird utters an angry screech and takes off again.

I wonder if that creature is able to read my thoughts. Then I shrug. Your meat is tough and has a rotten taste, so don't think I really care. I give the bird a last, scornful gaze as it flies away towards the lake.

Slowly, I get up. My right hand hurts where I cut it on the arch. But the cut looks harmless enough.

A cold gust of wind carries the smell of the river into my face. Dark clouds have covered the sky. The column of smoke is not in sight anymore. It may be hidden behind the trees, which stand close to the riverbank. But I reckon the origin of the smoke must be further upriver.

I start walking along the water. My eyes wander back and forth, scanning the landscape for predators or—a completely unfamiliar thought—for traces of living humans. My hands miss the comforting feeling of holding a spear. Since my second encounter with a bear, I have never ventured outside without one.

Later, it starts raining. And my stomach reminds me, reproachfully, that I have missed lunch. Noon must have passed long ago. I probably spent it on that arch.

I reach another bridge, which has long since collapsed, but its ruins provide some shelter near the riverbank. I take a break and eat some dried fruit. The water has soaked my clothes and I start to shiver.

Have I passed the source of the smoke, or is it still upriver? The view from my position is still blocked by the trees.

The rain abates, turning into a light drizzle. I reach the ruins of a building with yellowish walls. Its lower two floors are still standing. Some lonely steel bars pointing skywards are all that remains of a former third floor.

I enter a doorway and find a flight of stairs leading upwards. The traces of rust painted on its crumbling concrete surface don't inspire much confidence, but I start climbing, carefully, driven by the urgency to have a better view. I reach the top of the building without falling to my death.

The view from this height is much better. The air has calmed down and the sky over the mountains is clearing up, showing patches of brilliant, freshly washed blue over the summits. Then I look back, downriver.

My gaze crosses the column of smoke. It is rising behind a forest, incredibly close. I have walked a bit too far, but I am almost there.

I study the contour of a mountain behind the smoke, committing it to my memory, a landmark that may help me find my way. Then I descend the stairs and leave the building.

From the ground, the smoke is hidden by the trees, but the mountain is still visible.

The rhythm of my heart beats like a drum in my throat. I may meet people today. Other people, grown up in this world of debris and ruins. Answers. New Friends. Life and a future.

I set off into the forest.

The ground forms a gentle slope away from the river and into the forest. The undergrowth is dense, and I soon lose sight of my landmark. I try to walk straight on, but before long I have lost my bearings. Still, I continue, hoping for the best.

As I am about to give up and turn back to the river to find directions, I see the edge of the forest ahead. The mountain I was aiming for is visible through the gaps in the trees. And there is the smoke.

I make a conscious decision to slow down, and to calm down. All of this may be wishful thinking, a mirage I am chasing. Maybe they are unfriendly. Or maybe there are no people at all.

I proceed step by step towards the forest's edge, trying not to make any noise. I approach some bushes standing between the woods and a wide clearing beyond.

The clearing looks like a field.

Then I freeze.