Special: Julia's Gift

Later that evening...

After all the commotion Ardan finally got some peace and had decided to hit the sack early. The kids were still outside chatting the night away around the bonfire they made in front of Julia's altar.

The technologist sat on one side of his bed and sighed. It had been a long day. Usually he and the twins celebrate his late wife's birthday in solitude but this year he didn't expect that it will be such an eventful day—or year to be honest. Ardan glanced at the drawer beside his bed and opened it. He took an old journal and flipped through the pages until he reached a certain page. The technologist ran a finger along the textured paper where a sketch was drawn.

The sketch was a hand drawn family portrait made by Vox when he was four years old. It was a crayon drawing and it was a little well drawn by a kid his age. Ardan's hand that held the journal clenched tightly. Vox. How is he doing? Are they treating him well? Does he even think of him and Celeste? Is he eating well?

There were a lot of questions but none would be answered. Vox had made a choice, and as his father who taught him to own up to your decisions Ardan had no choice but to watch him from a far as he takes a path different to what he had envisioned for him.

Ardan's gaze landed on the stick figure of him and laughed softly. Vox drew him with a box arm and wrote 'dadda's arm' in it. His gaze then crawled to the other end of the drawn family portrait. Vox drew Julia with a heart on her belly. The technologist slowly closed his eyes and tried to remember that day when Julia told him she's pregnant.

***

"Happy Birthday!" Ardan greeted Julia as he hugged and kissed her on the lips.

"Thank you my handsome husband~" Julia giggled and blushed as the kiss feathered to her cheeks and neck. "It tickles! Ardan stop–" she told him in between her squirming and laughter.

Ardan did stop then gazed at his wife lovingly. "I'm very lucky."

"Hmm?" Julia raised an eyebrow.

"I have a wife who's beautiful, a good cook, caring, understanding, patient, kickass, smart and—" the technologist paused as he flashed a toothy grin.

"And?" Julia asked, smiling.

Ardan leaned close to her ear. "Great in bed." he whispered and planted a gentle kiss on her ear.

Julia's face turned deep red and playfully pushed Ardan on the chest. "Oh my god. I can't believe you!"

"What? It's true!" Ardan laughed.

The royalty shook her head while smiling. "Enough with all these compliments and let's go eat."

Ardan groaned. "Alright."

After dinner, Julia and Ardan lodged at the couch in their living room. The royalty was cuddled against the technologist as soft music played in the background.

"You know what?" Ardan spoke.

"Hmm?"

Ardan shifted and grabbed a box that was hidden beside the couch. He placed it on Julia's lap and kissed the side of her head. "I got you a little something."

"You didn't have to." Julia gasped.

"Why not? It's your birthday."

Julia sat straight and looked at her husband. "We need the money."

Ardan cocked an eyebrow questioningly. "For?"

"For this," Julia said then placed her hand on her tummy.

The technologist didn't get it at first and was silent until his wife laughed. Ardan's eyes widened at the realization and looked down at Julia's belly.

"Baby?!" Ardan uttered in surprise.

Julia nodded as she laughed. "Baby."

The overjoyed technologist pulled his wife into an embrace and showered her with kisses. "It's not my birthday but you're the one who gave me a wonderful gift." Ardan said, his eyes welling at the corners. "I love you so much." he whispered and kissed Julia once more on the lips.

"I love you too," Julia replied. Tears of joy began to slide down her cheeks as Ardan cooed at her belly.

Ardan caressed the small bump on his wife's stomach. "I promise to take good care of you and your mamma."

***

Ardan opened his eyes and chuckled softly. He flipped the page to the back of the journal and pulled out a photo from the secret pouch. It was a photo of him and Julia, each of them holding the twins.

"Little did we know, you gave me not one but two beautiful gifts Julia." he said to himself as he looked at the little bundles in their arms which was Vox and Celeste.

"Happy Birthday, my love." he whispered to the photograph before a tear dropped to Julia's smiling face.

***

A/N: I felt bad that the focus of the last chapter went to the love triangle instead of Julia or Ardan so I decided to write this special chapter!
I hope you guys enjoyed it!